• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Thinking of upgrading cell phone, currently using Galaxy S3 on Virgin Mobile.

Galaxy S7 or Google Pixel (unlocked). I'm not bothered by the lack of SD slot in the Pixel, if I go with one I'll just get the 128G model. There are only two reasons I'm still considering the S7 - you cannot do wireless charging on the Pixel and the Pixel is not waterproof.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
The S7 is fine, it's the Note one you have to worry about
The s7 has no Fire issues.
The note 7 is the one to avoid
There have been some reported with the S7 and S7 Edge. Just nowhere near as widespread. Mine gets so hot you can hardly touch it, then it will just randomly do things like it things you're touching stuff, then it shuts down. Even if it never pops I don't expect it to live terribly long with so many extreme heat cycles.

You're limiting yourself to old and lower end phones if you get hung up on the SD card. I like my Nexus 6 which I got because I figured if I was going to get a massive phone without a removable battery and SD card slot (S6), that I might as well get a better performer with a bigger battery.
S7 and edge have am SD slot. I don't recommend the phone due to what I mentioned above, though.

So what you are saying is I should go with the Pixel, forget about wireless charging and buy a waterproof case. Got it.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I had wireless charging on my old phone, lost it when I got my Nexus. Honesty, I haven't missed it much. The Nexus has a usb-c connection so I don't need to figure out how to get it inserted.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The Pixel doesn't do wireless charging? That may be a reason I wouldn't buy it. I use that feature constantly on my Nexus 6.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Does the Pixel have a removable battery? I think that's required to add wireless charging.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
Windows Surface phone supposed to be announced soon; I prefer the Windows OS, so I'm waiting for the letdown.
Rumors say it will be expensive, loaded with features, and running an Intel "Kaby Lake" processor, which I guess lets in run PC programs?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
There have been some reported with the S7 and S7 Edge. Just nowhere near as widespread. Mine gets so hot you can hardly touch it, then it will just randomly do things like it things you're touching stuff, then it shuts down. Even if it never pops I don't expect it to live terribly long with so many extreme heat cycles.

S7 and edge have am SD slot. I don't recommend the phone due to what I mentioned above, though.
What version S7 were you using, do you know? What carrier?

There are many thousands of 5 star reviews for the S7, perhaps it's not normal for your phone to get so hot like that?

I also like the fact it keeps the same Micro USB port all my other stuff uses.

The Pixel doesn't do wireless charging? That may be a reason I wouldn't buy it. I use that feature constantly on my Nexus 6.
I added wireless charging to my s4 for $5
Does the Pixel have a removable battery? I think that's required to add wireless charging.
Sealed battery and all metal back (which supposedly can be worked around). This doesn't preclude a 3rd party wireless charging case or adapter, but both of those are somewhat limiting.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
given the nature of Lithium batteries it is absolutely amazing there aren't more exploding phone epidemics than there are.

and I mean REALLY amazing.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
So what you are saying is I should go with the Pixel, forget about wireless charging and buy a waterproof case. Got it.
I can't really recommend anything else, because I don't know all of the options. I'm just willing to tell you that I think the S7 and S7E have some inherent problems so I can't recommend it. I loved my edge when I got it a few months ago. It's beautiful, camera is fanatstic, battery life is good. But it getting so hot it freaks out and restarts itself on occasion (hot enough that I've actually dipped it in the pool and put it in the fridge a few times) troubles me.

Samsung pay on this model is the absolute shit, though - it has a magnetic field generator built in, so even on older cc machines without the NFC capability (which I run into quite frequently at small businesses) you can still hold it up beside the swipe slot and it makes the machine think a card was swiped through. That's pretty ****ing cool. I've yet to use wireless charging on any of my phones, even though I've had three that were capable, so that isn't as important to me as it is to you - it's up to you to weigh how much in that case.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
What version S7 were you using, do you know? What carrier?

There are many thousands of 5 star reviews for the S7, perhaps it's not normal for your phone to get so hot like that?

I also like the fact it keeps the same Micro USB port all my other stuff uses.
S7 Edge on Verizon. I've had it since about May, I think. Like I said, it isn't an epidemic like the exploding Note 7, but do some googling and you'll find that I'm not the only one out there. John had the same issue with an S7, don't remember his carrier though. There have been a few reports of iPhone 7 models doing it, too. Huge amount of processing power, Li-ion battery throwing current in and out a lot, Li-ion batteries getting made in much more factories for much less money than five years ago, so damn thin there's nowhere for heat to go. It isn't surprising for these issues to start popping up.

given the nature of Lithium batteries it is absolutely amazing there aren't more exploding phone epidemics than there are.

and I mean REALLY amazing.
:werd: I've had a couple get stupid hot, swell, and even hiss/fizz/flame in RC stuff, so it isn't surprising to me at all. Samsung has also gone to 9V/1.67A charging on the S7 models (from 5V/2A on older stuff) and you can feel a significant warming as it charges.

I ain't saying it's gonna explode, I'm just saying I won't be surprised if it does, and I damn sure won't be surprised if it has component failure in far less than two years from the big heat cycles. Maybe it'll be fine, who knows.

Last edited: