• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

2015 Ford F-150

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
<---Eagerly awaiting ATLCOLOPOTOXTERRADINOSAURRENTALFLEET's answer to see if I should care about future costs of ownership.

John

Transplant
VIP
<---Eagerly awaiting ATLCOLOPOTOXTERRADINOSAURRENTALFLEET's answer to see if I should care about future costs of ownership.
I posted a fact told to me directly by a USAA auto director. You can cut and paste articles all you want. It doesn't change anything.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
2.7L Ecoboost - 325hp and 375. With the rate reduction, it should be quicker than the current 5.0L.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I'd like to know how apples-to-apples those two trucks are. On the 2014, I see a moonroof, which has to add some weight.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
I'd like to know how apples-to-apples those two trucks are. On the 2014, I see a moonroof, which has to add some weight.
Ford said they were both mildly optioned SuperCrew 4wd models. The one on the left is a 5.0L and the one on the right is a 2.7L Ecoboost. They disclosed the 2.7L engine is 25 lbs lighter than the 5.0.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Ford said they were both mildly optioned SuperCrew 4wd models. The one on the left is a 5.0L and the one on the right is a 2.7L Ecoboost. They disclosed the 2.7L engine is 25 lbs lighter than the 5.0.
I don't doubt that it's significantly lighter with the new Al. panels, but after it came to light (pun intended, I crack myself up) that Ford removes radios and bumpers for GVWR measuring, it's hard to trust that test. A fully loaded model with heavy features like a moonroof, running boards, larger wheels, bed liner, leather upholstery, etc, could weigh several hundred lbs. more.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Add in 4 fat rednecks and it'll be as fast a Leon's Go-Ped! :pirate:

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
I don't doubt that it's significantly lighter with the new Al. panels, but after it came to light (pun intended, I crack myself up) that Ford removes radios and bumpers for GVWR measuring, it's hard to trust that test. A fully loaded model with heavy features like a moonroof, running boards, larger wheels, bed liner, leather upholstery, etc, could weigh several hundred lbs. more.
True. At the PR stunt Ford said they weight savings will range from 625-730 pounds for similar models.

I'll wait for C&D to get their hands on one. Ford promised a weight savings for the 2015 Mustang too, and then just kind of stopped saying anything and it ended up gaining weight.

Ralph

VIP
Hasn't Land Rover used aluminum body panels for decades?
Audi has gone one step farther. When I went through adjuster training we were specifically warned about the A8's aluminum construction. Not just hung-on body panels, either.. The whole damn monocoque is aluminum. It's been 20 years now.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just the direction the industry has been slowly trending.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Audi has gone one step farther. When I went through adjuster training we were specifically warned about the A8's aluminum construction. Not just hung-on body panels, either.. The whole damn monocoque is aluminum. It's been 20 years now.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just the direction the industry has been slowly trending.
Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is.

John

Transplant
VIP
Hasn't Land Rover used aluminum body panels for decades?
They made a really big deal about all of the AL in the new RR so I doubt it was very extensive or they had moved away from it. They took several hundred lbs off of the current model.