• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

2015 Ford F-150

John

Transplant
VIP
Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is.
The biggest deal is for body shops. It hurts the small shops. However, this isn't anything all that new, but it could be the last straw for some. If you look at the trends, lots of the small shops are either closing their doors or being bought up by the huge natl shops.

Ralph

VIP
The biggest deal is for body shops. It hurts the small shops. However, this isn't anything all that new, but it could be the last straw for some. If you look at the trends, lots of the small shops are either closing their doors or being bought up by the huge natl shops.
I don't have a problem with this. It's not like it was sprung on these small shops with no notice. As we've already mentioned, aluminum body panels are not a new thing. "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way." -Lee Iacocca.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
LR has had all aluminum bodies for years. Perhaps the new RR built more sub assemblies out of aluminum? I thought I heard something about this, but could be mistaken.

The little guys advance as fast or even faster than the big guys to stay in business. That's the way business works and companies that don't advance either fail or have a different market niche. It's always been that way and will continue to be that way.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
LR has had all aluminum bodies for years. Perhaps the new RR built more sub assemblies out of aluminum? I thought I heard something about this, but could be mistaken.

The little guys advance as fast or even faster than the big guys to stay in business. That's the way business works and companies that don't advance either fail or have a different market niche. It's always been that way and will continue to be that way.
Correct - some of the body-on-frame models had aluminum bodies to keep the COG low. They weren't doing it to make the vehicle light necessarily, more to focus the weight in the correct place for its purpose.

The people that act like aluminum bits are a big deal are tardballs. Shitloads of vehicles have had aluminum hoods, trunks, doors, unibody, etc mixed in them for decades. It's no harder to work than steel, because for the most part panels are no longer worked anyway. The only people doing work on panels instead of pulling and replacing are the PDR guys, and I've personally watched a PDR guy walk four dents out of an aluminum hood in less than twenty minutes. Everything else is pretty much removing ****ed up parts and putting new ones on - so you may have to weld or otherwise bond aluminum instead of steel. Welding aluminum is just as easy as welding steel unless you're a ham-fisted shit-chucking ape. Much ado about nothing at all. Change scares people, even if it isn't a new thing.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I think the perception may be that it dents easily. On my f150 sporting an aluminum hood I slid a normal sized piece of ice off the hood not realizing that it left a crease for about 5 inches on it. Really bummed me out and I don't think that would have happened if it were steel.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I have a hard time getting my head around such a tiny motor in such a big truck.
"No replacement for displacement" --- horseshit - forced induction is the replacement for displacement. If you can double the amount of air and fuel shoved into a 2.7L it essentially becomes a 5.4L. If you can triple it, you suddenly have an 8.1L. Clearly we don't get the perfect multipliers due to various forms of loss, but we get a good bit of them. GM and Dodge are shutting down cylinders in larger engines for "displacement on demand," but forced induction on a smaller engine accomplishes the same thing. There's a reason turbo diesels are WAAAAY more well regarded than bare diesels - it won't take long before gas truck owners catch on.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
"No replacement for displacement" --- horseshit - forced induction is the replacement for displacement. If you can double the amount of air and fuel shoved into a 2.7L it essentially becomes a 5.4L. If you can triple it, you suddenly have an 8.1L. Clearly we don't get the perfect multipliers due to various forms of loss, but we get a good bit of them. GM and Dodge are shutting down cylinders in larger engines for "displacement on demand," but forced induction on a smaller engine accomplishes the same thing. There's a reason turbo diesels are WAAAAY more well regarded than bare diesels - it won't take long before gas truck owners catch on.
This new medicine has turned you into a fawking genius! :rockz:

jif

A bit nutty
I'd like to see a comparison video with 4 men, and about 800lbs of lumber in each of those two trucks going up a 10% grade for a mile. Just to see how that little engine does.

John

Transplant
VIP
After driving the 3.5l Ecoboost quite a bit, it grew on me and I liked it. They feel really strong. However, there are three issues with it, I get worse mpg than the gas trucks when I drive them (I drive with a heavy foot), I want a fullsized truck to have a V8 growl, and I keep reading about them having major cooling issues when towing. The latter I've only read about. Maybe ford has even addressed it?

I get terrible mpg with diesel trucks too...

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'd like to see a comparison video with 4 men, and about 800lbs of lumber in each of those two trucks going up a 10% grade for a mile. Just to see how that little engine does.
It's the old 3.5L, but it's still a pretty decent showing.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
My estimator's brand new Chevy 1500 shuts down cylinders and there's a noticeable jerk/shudder when this happens. Brought it back in for service, "That's perfectly normal, Steve," was the answer. I told him that's what they'd say. He's pissed. Lol.

John

Transplant
VIP
They made some changes to the 5.3l since mine, but I couldn't really tell with mine unless I was looking for it (or looking at that display screen). It was pretty slight. The engine sounds slightly different too. Chrysler's system is a little bit more seamless.

Have you noticed it too? He could be neurotic about it or there could actually be something wrong with it.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
My in-laws tow with their 3.5L EcoBoost in the NC mountains. Usually 5-7k pounds. It tows that without issue and way better than the previous 5.4L motor. The 2.7L isn't meant to be a workhorse. It's meant to be a weekend warrior motor. I'd bet nearly all the contractors stick with the 3.5L.

After driving the 3.5l Ecoboost quite a bit, it grew on me and I liked it. They feel really strong. However, there are three issues with it, I get worse mpg than the gas trucks when I drive them (I drive with a heavy foot), I want a fullsized truck to have a V8 growl, and I keep reading about them having major cooling issues when towing.
If you can't stay out of the boost, you'll always get shit mileage. However it's too damn fun. EcoBoost can sound decent with the right exhaust.

jif

A bit nutty
I can't stand any car makers propaganda. They have been bullshitting us for years. And that .8L is quite a bit of displacement to lose off an already small engine.

jif

A bit nutty
The 2.7L isn't meant to be a workhorse. It's meant to be a weekend warrior motor. I'd bet nearly all the contractors stick with the 3.5L.
That's why I only asked about a moderate load. I know that this tiny little engine won't be able to tow a ton, but 600 lbs of crap in the bed, and four dudes should be about right. I'm not trying to say that it won't be able to do it well either. I'd kinda like for it to be a decent little engine. But I am curious as to how it will fare.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I can't stand any car makers propaganda. They have been bullshitting us for years. And that .8L is quite a bit of displacement to lose off an already small engine.
Like what? Engines are insanely powerful for much less displacement these days. I don't know why everyone is so stuck on old engine tech, it wasn't for shit compared to what's available these days. I remember driving a 4.9 straight six around here. I had to drive it in first gear in the mountains. Can you imagine 5 liters of displacement and the thing could barely climb a standard mountain road around here.