• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Echo

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
No. Siri is in a small phone you need to carry on you anywhere you go. This is in a convenient cylinder that plugs in and never moves. :shrug:
Convenient is something that never moves?

I did use the "OK Google Now" feature on my old Moto X a few times. This sounds very similar in that you can just start speaking and it responds.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Received my "Your Amazon Echo Is Ready to Purchase" email today. They give you 7 days to make the purchase.

Can't change the wake up name to anything you want, it's "Alexa" or you can change it to "Amazon".

Going to think about it before I watse more money on something I might never use.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Can't change the wake up name to anything you want, it's "Alexa" or you can change it to "Amazon".
That really sucks, not I'm less upset I didn't get an invitation yet. The entire point was to call it "Computer."

Where does it say this? Do they send additional info in the invite? Can you post it?

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That really sucks, not I'm less upset I didn't get an invitation yet. The entire point was to call it "Computer."

Where does it say this? Do they send additional info in the invite? Can you post it?
From the invite email:

What can I use as the wake word?
The default wake word is "Alexa" (our homage to the library of Alexandria). You can also change the wake word to "Amazon" in the settings section of the Echo companion app. We'll be adding more wake words in the future.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Received mine today, downloaded the Android app and set it up.

So far it sucks for asking a off the wall question. Great for asking the weather/time/temp or to play some music.

It doesn't understand Jeep tech questions. :jump:

The app tracks what you ask of it and has a link to search Bing for the answer.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Asking questions is about 50-50 if you will get an answer.

Best use my :wifey: found for it is asking about the weather and playing Christmas music.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Asking questions is about 50-50 if you will get an answer.

Best use my :wifey: found for it is asking about the weather and playing Christmas music.
My make or break feature will be if they add capability for reading audible books. My plan was to get this for my mother who's losing her sight to macular degeneration. She has always been a big reader, and this has created a large whole in her ability to keep herself occupied. She's not tech savvy, so most current audible options aren't really viable. But an appliance like this that she could simply ask to read a book to her would be life changing.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
:wifey: woke me up this morning arguing with the damn Echo, wanted it to play some rain forest sounds and Alexia couldn't figure out what she wanted.