• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Fire TV (Regular & Stick)

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Review of Compatible Amazon Fire TV (And Fire TV Stick) Controllers:

1) Amazon Fire Game Controller - $39.99 Amazon Prime

Pros: The most buttons- 8 game buttons + 2 analog sticks that can be buttons as well + standard back / home / menu buttons same as original Fire TV remote + dedicated "Game Circle" button + media Rewind / Play-Pause / Fast Forward button + Dpad. All in all there are 21 things to click if you include each direction of the Dpad plus the two analog sticks. Good size and feels well made. My favorite controller for playing general games. 2 AA batteries included. NEW: Has voice control as well.

Cons: Lacks touchpad

2) OUYA Wireless Controller - ~$35 Amazon Prime

Pros: Built in trackpad automatically usable as a mouse in apps that need a mouse (or touchpad) to use. This vastly increases the apps that can be used after being sideloaded onto a Fire TV- many apps are just not designed to work correctly with an AFTV Remote, there is no other way to select or click something that needs clicking. With the OUYA controller it's easy and doesn't require a separate mouse. Also about the same size and weight as the Amazon Fire Controller. Has 8 dedicated buttons, two analogs sticks that can each be clicked, and the standard d-pad, Also has "on" button that is used to pair the device.

Cons: Lacks home/back/menu buttons and dedicated media buttons. Personally did not like the feel of the Dpad which is somewhat raised. Documentation doesn't mention how to change batteries (2 AA required, not included.) (You need to separate the brushed aluminum covers from the back, each side removes individually.)

3) NES30 Wireless Gamepad - ~$40 Amazon Prime

Pros: Looks and feels much like the original NES controller although modified with additional buttons. This is not the same as the cheap $5 Chinese knock-off controllers. (4 buttons + left and right trigger + start and select) = 8 buttons in all plus the Dpad. Great for playing emulated games. USB rechargeable battery. Best controller for playing old NES games.

Cons: At least with the firmware that ships with it the "Start" button is unusable in games as it gets translated to the menu button on the standard AFTV remote, so if you remap the button in an emulator you loose access to the menu button on both remotes. This means you need to use one of the other buttons as Start- fine for playing original NES games but gets tricky if you play a game that needs all the buttons.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I bought both.

I bought the Stick first but it was sold out/delayed, so I bought the regular Fire TV and gave the Fire TV Stick to my sis for Christmas.

I used both, the stick looks/acts the same but is somewhat slower when moving through the menus.

I have the original on my main TV and have moved my stick to my bedroom.. Roku 3 has been pushed to the guest bedroom. I was a bit concerned about switching to wifi, my other boxes are LAN connected, but AFTV stick on wifi works great for everything short of high bit-rate 1080i OTA TV which it occasionally stutters on. I'm sure if I put them side by side the difference would be obvious, but in general use I don't notice the difference between the original and the stick.

Unless you want optical spdif out (I do on 1 TV), play games on it (my youngest does), or need the extra speed of a LAN connection for BR rips or live uncompressed OTA TV (I do) I'd recommend the stick over the original. I'm not even sure about the BR/OTA stuff, my stick is about as far from my WAP as it could be and a recent update supposedly fixed some XBMC hardware acceleration issues - maybe BR/OTA works fine now or would with a better wifi setup?

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but I'm watching Android TV offerings as they come out - hoping for the perfect setup.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Been watching NAMM show videos on YouTube via my Fire TV all morning. Switching to the Ouya for Top Gear.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I haven't modded the Fire yet and run XMBC on the Ouya. Other than Prime, I have no pay TV service. Will not admit to anything else. :D

I haven't modded the Fire yet and run XMBC on the Ouya. Other than Prime, I have no pay TV service. Will not admit to anything else. :D
:puzzled: What does that mean modded the Fire? Running XBMC is a question of side-loading, but not really modding. Root not needed. If you have an Android phone or tablet, this is one method that makes it dead simple:
How to Sideload Apps onto an Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick using an Android Phone or Tablet AFTVnews

It doesn't have to be the AGK Fire app, any side-loading app will do. If I may make one more suggestion, use TVMC from the Amazon app store. Even though it shows as not FireTV compatible it does work, it comes pre-installed with "will not admit to anything" add-on repositories, and because it's an Amazon Appstore app it will show up in the regular FireTV menus.

If you don't have another android device you can use windows/mac/linux to side-load from. Here is one site, but if you google there are plenty of guides and different apps for it. Sideload FireTV I still say start with the TVMC from Amazon's app store, but there are multiple XBMC versions out there, as well as SPMC (vanilla but very good, you'll need to add your repositories and add-ons).

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I've had the page open in my browser for a few weeks and haven't found the time to load the app. I have project ADD and rarely finish something before jumping into something else.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Done. Works.

Even better, I now have the Sirius app on my Fire. Didn't work well with the Ouya controller but I hooked up an extra mouse and got all my favorites set up.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Done. Works.

Even better, I now have the Sirius app on my Fire. Didn't work well with the Ouya controller but I hooked up an extra mouse and got all my favorites set up.
didnt know it was on there. I'll have to check it out.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I searched it on Amazon and it came up. Had sideloaded it an hour before, now it shows up in my Recent tab. Should have checked Amazon first.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Damn Sirius doesn't let those of use with Lifetime Subscriptions listen via their app! Bastards!