• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Best years for XJ, ones to avoid?

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
Really leaning toward the Commander, got another look at it today and crawled around underneath...almost as clean as the top.

Call the guy up, he's at the lake for the weekend, and I get the whole story:

It's got 200K miles on it mostly from being towed behind his RV. After I heard that, the overall condition makes sense.

What kind of problems would this cause down the road? Bearings, Transfer case?? No signs of dripping anywhere, he didn't say if the removed the driveshaft ( front would have been on a dolly).

I'm going to have to drive it of course, but really leaning toward purchase if it checks out.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
If they pulled the driveshaft when towing then the miles don't make sense.
Which is the worry, what kind of wear would that cause spinning the tailshaft for say, 100K miles? Its not unheard of for a vehicle to make 200K on orig trans and Diff. without major service if well cared for, but to tow I'm not sure.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I think it's from the ABS tone rings and not the transfer case.
This or a ring in the rear diff.

Not sure what would wear from dolly towing like that. There wasn't transfer of power through the drivetrain, so component wear should be minimal. Perhaps shocks, bushings and suspension wear. Maybe bearings. ?

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
This or a ring in the rear diff.

Not sure what would wear from dolly towing like that. There wasn't transfer of power through the drivetrain, so component wear should be minimal. Perhaps shocks, bushings and suspension wear. Maybe bearings. ?
That makes sense to me, I did some more looking and this model can't be towed w/o dolly and driveshaft pulled because of no neutral in T/C.
No body work has been done anywhere (My 1st trade, I can always spot it), yet the grille, w/s, headlights are way too nice to have spent a lot of time in the wind, plus that interior....nobody is that clean.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
So what's in mean when it goes clunkclunkclunkclunk under hard acceleration?

I'm thinking t/c chain.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
A/C wasn't working either; and it's been getting warmer.

I found out that I like these Commanders, just not this one. Maybe a white one.

Yeah they're f'ing huge inside, are quiet and seem to have fairly good longevity. All the ones around here have insane miles on them. Seem to have held their value well too.