• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Guess we need to see the entire floor plan to make informed suggestions

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Guess we need to see the entire floor plan to make informed suggestions
Not really. The main floor layout is the complex part because there are so many things involved. The upstairs is basically 24x44 split in half for two beds with a shared bathroom. Basement is 28x40 with a 28x24 garage.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
did i miss the indoor firing range?
Yes:

I'm actually thinking that the "storage or bonus" will actually be "his" in terms of my home office. Secluded enough that I don't have to keep it neat as it's unlikely that visitors will go in there. May also have a window at that end so that I can shoot out of it when I get bored surfing JU while "working".

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's a 28ft wide basement with a roof angle of 12:12 which effectively makes the roof width 30ft and the floor width with 6' sides 16' wide. To widen that you either have walls that are shorter under the roofline, you widen the basement, and/or you move the roof out or up.

Noted.
Not really. The main floor layout is the complex part because there are so many things involved. The upstairs is basically 24x44 split in half for two beds with a shared bathroom. Basement is 28x40 with a 28x24 garage.
It looks, from your description, that the basement had nothing to do with the right side of the house. I have no idea how you can't make that 15'4" wall longer.

Humor me...shift the staircase 4' left. Move master area to living/dining. Put kitchen over garage. Turn current master into dining. Living room is where kitchen/pantry/mudroom were. Put laundry into the huge "hers" closet.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
It looks, from your description, that the basement had nothing to do with the right side of the house. I have no idea how you can't make that 15'4" wall longer.
A side elevation sketch shows what I'm looking at:

This is just the garage and portion over the garage. See how the 28' basement width dictates the roofline which in turn dictates the width of the room over the garage? 16' with 7' walls under the roofline. 18' with 6' walls. Once you consider 2x4 studs, you're looking at 15'4" or 17'4", but that's still space under the roofline.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Humor me...shift the staircase 4' left. Move master area to living/dining. Put kitchen over garage. Turn current master into dining. Living room is where kitchen/pantry/mudroom were. Put laundry into the huge "hers" closet.
That's a fairly drastic change and not something I can sketch quickly. It also brings in a number of design considerations. The problems of which include:

* Master bedroom window overlooks front porch. Privacy & security are an issue.
* Front porch has to be on the left because the land falls off to the right.
* There will be a driveway section on the left of the house in addition to the garage/basement level. I'd expect to be carrying groceries in through the dining room from that driveway section rather than up the stairs from the garage. I suppose the driveway could come around to the mud room though.
* Master would be off of the main foyer. I prefer the hall so it's equal from the kitchen and foyer and doesn't require walking around the house to get to the kitchen.
* Don't get morning sun on dining room. It and the living room would get evening sun.

I don't think you can really dine in an area with a 8'10" width and a 32" door opening into it. Effectively that's like 5' wide for dining space... table... chairs... everything.
I didn't notice the door going to the basement stairs. 8'10" is plenty for a typical dining room table, the problem is the door. Take it out. If the basement is going to be finished, open that fawker up. Treat it like stairs from the 1st floor to the second. If you are not going to finish the basement for now, still open it up and just put the door at the bottom of the stairs. If you don't do something with that kitchen, such as move it to the corner, you are going to hate the lack of cabinet space.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Hate all the plans. Kitchen is too small, huge room off master is an odd room, no formal living room, small vanity in master bath.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I didn't notice the door going to the basement stairs. 8'10" is plenty for a typical dining room table, the problem is the door. Take it out. If the basement is going to be finished, open that fawker up. Treat it like stairs from the 1st floor to the second. If you are not going to finish the basement for now, still open it up and just put the door at the bottom of the stairs. If you don't do something with that kitchen, such as move it to the corner, you are going to hate the lack of cabinet space.
Basement will be unfinished, initially, save for possibly an office area for me. Not sure how I can get rid of steps to the basement. Definitely don't have room to put another staircase elsewhere. Might be able to move basement door to hallway though.....

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Hate all the plans. Kitchen is too small, huge room off master is an odd room, no formal living room, small vanity in master bath.
We explicitly do not want a formal living room or formal dining room. More of an open concept with an eat-in kitchen and family room.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
These are good places for kids and rabbits to hop around.
Understand. The basement has future potential for that and we don't want a giant house again. Very firm on not wanting formal dining & living spaces and the extra square footage associated with them.

Give me your CAD file. Which walls are structural?
The 28x40 exterior and the center wall between the living & dining room and along the half bath. Probably the left wall of the master bedroom too. Over the garage, I'm not entirely sure since it will be roof load with no floor above.

http://wct097.com/wt/kenmore/kenmore_capecod9.dwg

Moved the basement door to the hall. Moved fridge. Added counter. Not 100% sure the basement door will work. Depends on how the landing affects the stairs and ceiling height in the stairwell.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The problem with that last kitchen alteration is that the counter between the range and the wall is 10' which is too long for a single piece of granite. Naturally, I could expand the range to 48" from 36" and solve that issue, but that dramatically increases the range costs from something around $2500 to more like $5-7.5k or even $15k if I went all Waz on it.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Cliff has a good point, your kitchen is small and it doesn't flow well. I don't see the open concept aspect. Usually that entails eating and entertaining all in view of the kitchen. You have walls, stairs and a hall in the way. Your kitchen is pretty much a galley kitchen.

Hire a designer who does this for a living. It's worth a grand or two.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Cliff has a good point, your kitchen is small and it doesn't flow well. I don't see the open concept aspect. Usually that entails eating and entertaining all in view of the kitchen. You have walls, stairs and a hall in the way. Your kitchen is pretty much a galley kitchen.
Like I said, the kitchen is the part I'm least happy with and the part I'm trying to figure out still. It's a work in progress.

Hire a designer who does this for a living. It's worth a grand or two.
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I agree completely and it might be easier to do that. On the other hand, bouncing things back and forth with the builder helps make the design more budget friendly and speeds things along. Adding a third person to the conversation makes it exponentially more complex and time consuming.

I can pick a dozen plans I like out of a book, but the thing that designers all have in common is that they know how to make an expensive floorplan.