• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

Justin

Damn.
VIP
When something ends up not to :wifey:'s liking, do you want to be able to blame the architect or take the blame yourself?

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
What is the drawback to doing it myself then handing it to a designer for review and revision?

My dimensions, at this point, aren't intended for use as plans that a builder will use. They're for gauging the space while I revise the layout. It's been a while since I took drafting, but I actually do remember how to dimension things in a somewhat appropriate manner.
Time.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
In this one, I tried having the steps make an L, across the hallway to open up a little more space in the kitchen. That would mean that the hall has a 7ft ceiling as opposed to 9'6" around the rest of the house. Kitchen has a more traditional U shape to it. Would probably rearrange the stove/sink/fridge a bit, but you get the idea. Master bath is still within the 28x40 basement for ease of water flow. Didn't bother drawing the closet structure. Suffice to say there would be something there. Laundry would share the roof over the planned screened porch.

Don't like the proximity of the half bath to the kitchen.

Swap half bath and pantry areas and resize accordingly. Pantry would be just as usable to the kitchen, but half bath would be out closer to living area. You can use that same stack off the half bath for the shared bath upstairs.

Laundry area is a miss. You really want all that plumbing on a bump out exterior wall? Plus you've got to walk through the whole house to wash your drawers, and the noise of those machines is straight into dining/living areas. Better off putting those in the huge wasted area you're now calling a master closet.

Also center the French doors in dining area wall. That offset would bother the fawk outta me over time. Also look at using a sliding French doors for that area to free up floor space.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So you're saying I'd save time having a designer do their thing, then taking it to my wife, then the builder, then going back to the designer, then rinsing and repeating for however many iterations vs having my wife look over my shoulder, conferring with the builder on and off, then handing the best result to a designer to refine?

Logistically, I just don't see how that would be possible.

Swap half bath and pantry areas and resize accordingly. Pantry would be just as usable to the kitchen, but half bath would be out closer to living area. You can use that same stack off the half bath for the shared bath upstairs.
The :wifey: is very adamant that she doesn't want the half bath close to the living areas. To be graphic, nobody wants to have a guest taking a shit five feet from where you're eating or sitting on the couch. The hall outside of the kitchen isn't ideal, but it's better than that. I liked it in the front off of the foyer, but the builder balked because it makes the front door look funny being really close to the bump out wall there.

Laundry area is a miss. You really want all that plumbing on a bump out exterior wall?
It's grey water. It can drain off to grade for all I care. Hot & cold water are a minor issue in that regards.

Plus you've got to walk through the whole house to wash your drawers, and the noise of those machines is straight into dining/living areas. Better off putting those in the huge wasted area you're now calling a master closet.
That was the builder's suggestion as well. Again, the :wifey: was very adamant that she didn't want the laundry in the master bedroom as kids & guests would have to come through the master to use it. I like the idea because it's primarily used for clothes and stuff fromthe master, but the :wifey: has spoken.

Also center the French doors in dining area wall. That offset would bother the fawk outta me over time. Also look at using a sliding French doors for that area to free up floor space.
Yeah, that location is more of an afterthought. I'm not bothering drawing windows or really caring about the doors until I get the layout straight.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Your builder should have a draftsman that does this stuff. Yes, it will save time. Email the thing and redline it in Bluebeam or Adobe. In fact, it would be the guy's job to coordinate and communicate everything. You shouldn't have to do anything. All of this should be included in your builder's scope.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I find value in the services of a designer in a number of cases. Designing a kitchen layout for cabinets & appliances, for example..... the lady I hired to handle that for the Compound did a phenomenal job and did far better than I could ever have hoped.

With that said, I'm the type that likes to make a pass at things myself first. That avoids issues where someone takes a bit too many artistic liberties with my project. It's also hard to convey all of the criteria and reasoning behind it without a starting point.

For example, with this layout I've worked up, I can explain some of the design features and why they're like that. The location of the half bath, for example. Why the master is on the side it's on. Etc, etc.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
There's no harm in getting what you think you want down on paper first, but definitely get that plus all your wants/needs to a pro and let them guide you some too.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Will is his own worst enemy :(
So if you had an idea in mind for the house you want to build, you wouldn't sketch it first? You'd just verbally tell a designer how you want it and then just take what they give you?

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
So if you had an idea in mind for the house you want to build, you wouldn't sketch it first? You'd just verbally tell a designer how you want it and then just take what they give you?
No, you give the guy pieces of plans you do like and let him adapt those into an integrated design that also fits the site best. You're basing these sketches off how you lived in prior places, but there are more ways to accomplish your desires than you'll ever think of yourself. The more you pencil things out yourself, the more you'll convince yourself they need to be that way (pride of ownership) and refuse to consider better ways once the pros get involved.

Start the process open to ideas, and don't lock yourself into a plan that nobody will be able to convince you doesn't work once it's set in your brain.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
You're trying to come up with plans. And dont say you're not, because you are, and you're fighting with trying to make it work. That's the architect's job.

You sketch things out with pencil on paper.... don't sweat the details...

Give them snippets of plans you like (magazines/books)... and of design elements you like or don't like... let them DO what they do.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
No, you give the guy pieces of plans you do like and let him adapt those into an integrated design that also fits the site best.
That's what we did with the builder originally. We looked at several houses with him, showed him some things we liked and didn't like from various plans and our previous places, and came up with what we have now.

You're basing these sketches off how you lived in prior places, but there are more ways to accomplish your desires than you'll ever think of yourself. The more you pencil things out yourself, the more you'll convince yourself they need to be that way (pride of ownership) and refuse to consider better ways once the pros get involved.
I'm not married to anything I've drawn. I do have some very specific desires that we've hammered out and some parameters dictated by the lay of the building site and the budget. You may be mistaking my desire to take those things into consideration for being convinced that my sketch is "the way".

Start the process open to ideas, and don't lock yourself into a plan that nobody will be able to convince you doesn't work once it's set in your brain.
I'm completely open to ideas. Having certain things we like or don't like and an understanding of what the building site constraints are is something completely different.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You're trying to come up with plans. And dont say you're not, because you are, and you're fighting with trying to make it work. That's the architect's job.

You sketch things out with pencil on paper.... don't sweat the details...

Give them snippets of plans you like (magazines/books)... and of design elements you like or don't like... let them DO what they do.
I'm not good with pencil and paper. I put things in CAD so that I can see how things look to scale and to see how moving things around really changes the layout. Nothing I sketch on paper would come anywhere close.

....and yes, I want a part in designing my own home that we're building. Absolutely. I can't imagine going through the hassle of building only to pick a spec house or taking a hands off approach until it's time to pick out paint colors and fixtures. That seems ludicrous. Then again, I'm not shocked that the JUOT mantra would be to avoid putting any effort in on your own. That's just not the way I work. I'm the type that likes to be involved. I lean on professionals for things I can't (or don't want to) do myself, but that doesn't mean I wash my hands of those things and don't stay involved.

Last edited: