• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Builder checked my dimensions. Says the headroom under the steps is too low. Sent me some suggestions on what to change. May work on that tonight. Planning to meet with a designer/architect after Christmas.

Where is Steve Beatty (sp?) to tell Will the roof will collapse and kill him.
Did Joe's roof ever fall in?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Yeah. 46x60 is in the same budget range as 40x28. Very similar to a plan we found online that we liked though.

Much better, but I didn't think that master bath layout was acceptable? No tub, which would be fine with me, and the sink is well outside the 40x28 basement area. For some reason I also thought your stairs were pretty much set in place, that placement is much better. No issues with stairs to the basement?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Kitchen too narrow in the previous one.... dropped the mud room in favor of just a laundry room without an entrance. Shifted it about 4' over to make the kitchen bigger. Toilet and tub against main wall. Drains for sink should easily work. It's a 2" drain that needs to drop about 4" over the distance to main wall.

Last edited:
Remove half bath.
Move tub/toilet to half bath space.
Move sinks left
Put master bed into closet/closet/sitting/dressing area
Get rid of front bump out
Put half bath and master closet into what remains of the original master bedroom.

Doing it this way will give your master bedroom three exterior walls that you can windows/dormers and be nice and bright. It will move your master closet and half bath to interior space that doesn't need windows at all. It will move your toilet/tub into the 40x28 envelope. It will get rid of the funny bumpout. The bump out will cost you a little extra. With a second floor and a basement, I just do not see why you need so much closet space in the master.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Walls over garage are slanted from 6' to 9'6" along the roof line. Would look funny if dormer were larger which makes for a crappy small window. I've been I'm a similar room over a garage in a similar sized house. Don't want as master. This is typically "bonus room" space. As drawn, it will have a larger front window and a side window that looks over the garage roof towards the mountains to the west. Likewise a larger front window will take advantage of the great view to the north.

Why not raise the roof? Would give you some nice "attic" storage above what I think should be the master.

Something like this...so that the entire room above the garage is a legit room, with attic space above.

Ardvark

Tell your wife to sell some clothes and you don't need a room to get dressed in
That whole right side is a waste of space
Kitchen should be bigger than closet

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Why not raise the roof? Would give you some nice "attic" storage above what I think should be the master.

Something like this...so that the entire room above the garage is a legit room, with attic space above.

Build budget is $250k for the structure. Estimate with these parameters is $270k. Raising the roof has a cost. Also not sure I want master over garage anyway. Garage door opener noise and vibration alone would be the concern.

Tell your wife to sell some clothes and you don't need a room to get dressed in
That whole right side is a waste of space
Kitchen should be bigger than closet
So half of JU says closet is too small, but you say it's too big and that 8x10 is larger than 16x13.5?

Garage is under the right side.

Build budget is $250k for the structure. Estimate with these parameters is $270k. Raising the roof has a cost. Also not sure I want master over garage anyway. Garage door opener noise and vibration alone would be the concern.
LOL, garage door opener noise and vibration...that lasts for what, 10 seconds, twice a day.

I guess I need an elevation of what you are planning, because I just don't understand how your roof lines will look. it is completely unclear to me how you will have a two story main structure, and then off the the side, have a basement entry garage, with room over it...and how the roof of that structure will tie in to the main. I am not picturing it at all...or I guess I should say, the picture in my head looks ridiculous.

Ardvark

13x8 plus 10x18 is 284 sqft for clothes and sitting
It's your 284 ft. If you and your wife want to squander it then do so.

I'd rather have a larger kitchen or study or lr or bedroom

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Approximation of the front elevation. First floor windows would be wider on the main section, but you get the idea.