• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
13x8 plus 10x18 is 284 sqft for clothes and sitting
It's your 284 ft. If you and your wife want to squander it then do so.

I'd rather have a larger kitchen or study or lr or bedroom
My wife wants a sitting area. Could be that she has that at the front of the bedroom with the bed closer to the door, or it could be that she puts a couch in the closet/dressing area. My wife doesn't cook, so I can guarantee you that she's appreciate a more luxurious dressing area over a slightly larger kitchen. :shrug:

Approximation of the front elevation. First floor windows would be wider on the main section, but you get the idea.

It would cost virtually nothing to raise the roof so that the entire first floor has a uniform exterior wall like the one I posted. Then you would have so many more options for windows in the space above the garage. And it saves you having to deal with 6' or 7' walls on any of those rooms. I think half of the arguments you have had about the master suite area have some sort of discussion about either 6'/7' walls. If you raise the roof line, you could also do a shed dormer in the back, and have a beautiful second floor space above the master, which is where I would put an office. So your second story above the main house would be two bedrooms and a bath, and the space above the master could be your office, with nice, big windows that you can shoot out of (which I think is dumb as shit, but Im thinking of you here, not me :D )

It would look better, too. The elevation you have looks out of whack..almost like there was something just tacked on to the side of the main house.

My dad decided on a whim to put in a regular dormer, and I dislike it. They have a room over the garage that, no surprise, has 6' walls at the perimeter. Had he put in a shed dormer, he could have put it the entire length of the room, and given himself full 8' exterior walls, with windows. Instead, the room is just a dark room, with short walls, and one regular dormer.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
It would cost virtually nothing to raise the roof so that the entire first floor has a uniform exterior wall like the one I posted. Then you would have so many more options for windows in the space above the garage. And it saves you having to deal with 6' or 7' walls on any of those rooms. I think half of the arguments you have had about the master suite area have some sort of discussion about either 6'/7' walls. If you raise the roof line, you could also do a shed dormer in the back, and have a beautiful second floor space above the master, which is where I would put an office. So your second story above the main house would be two bedrooms and a bath, and the space above the master could be your office, with nice, big windows that you can shoot out of (which I think is dumb as shit, but Im thinking of you here, not me :D )

It would look better, too. The elevation you have looks out of whack..almost like there was something just tacked on to the side of the main house.
My dad decided on a whim to put in a regular dormer, and I dislike it. They have a room over the garage that, no surprise, has 6' walls at the perimeter. Had he put in a shed dormer, he could have put it the entire length of the room, and given himself full 8' exterior walls, with windows. Instead, the room is just a dark room, with short walls, and one regular dormer.

Well, I don't disagree with the idea of moving that roof up a bit, but I'm not convinced that it would cost "virtually nothing", especially with a large shed dormer on the back. The parameters I have set are based on the way the land lays and what the builder suggested based on the budget. He's estimating $270k for the structure vs my budget of $250k. I'm $20k over before I get started. If "virtually nothing" is $5k, that's moving in the wrong direction for my budget. I'm thinking it would be more like $10k. Also not sure about the consequences for structural support over the 28x24 space in the garage. Adding weight, height, and a different structure over it could make a big difference.

You're basically saying that adding an additional floor would cost nothing.

Also, not really planning to shoot out of windows.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Would also bump the square footage up to 1792 on the main floor, 880 for the second floor, and 504 for the second floor bonus room. Total being 3176. Add another 168 if we keep the bump out where I have the master drawn. The bump out being basically "free" since we're paying for that part of the roof anyway due to the front porch.

As drawn it would be more like 1656 for the first floor and 880 for the second floor for a total of 2536. That's an increase of 640sq-ft of heated and finished space.

That wasn't the question.:puzzled:
You don't have to finish it, just have "attic" space for now like your basement. The only real additional materials are 2x4s, exterior sheathing, plywood subfloor, and brick/siding. You can add windows and finish the room later, but I think it would tremendously open up your options for your 1st floor. As far as noise from the garage...the floor of your master would be insulated, and if you select the fancy $300 garage door opener that is "silent" then you will never hear it. I can barely hear my shitty $150 chain drive with the old style solid metal door when I'm standing in my kitchen watching it open through the door.

You would also save money by not having the front bump out that is there now. Get rid of that front bump out, and you have two perfect rectangles. Essentially, you would be moving the bump out materials to above the master. You also have two ridiculously simple "A" frame roofs, and one shed dormer, plus whatever other dormers you choose for the front.

Getting rid of that bump out would make the front of the house much cleaner, especially with the front porch you want.

Ardvark

When I did my addition the second floor was more expensive if I made it six foot walls as opposed to 8 foot walls.

Ardvark

I also would make that little garage area I guess the same roof line as the main part of the house

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I also would make that little garage area I guess the same roof line as the main part of the house
Main section has a 6-ft front porch. Roof is basically 36ft wide. Garage is 28ft wide with a 30ft roof. Wouldn't be able to do the same lines. Could make it as high but the pitch would be off. Couldn't make it as wide.

Main section has a 6-ft front porch. Roof is basically 36ft wide. Garage is 28ft wide with a 30ft roof. Wouldn't be able to do the same lines. Could make it as high but the pitch would be off. Couldn't make it as wide.
Keep same pitch, and have the roofs be "nested" triangles. As you pull up driveway into garage, garage/master roof should look like a smaller version of the main house roof, and the gutter line would be solid the entire way around the house.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Builder says he would guess about $55-60k to do a full floor over the garage. The garage has no inside walls and thus no support. As drawn we're not spanning the whole floor system and thus the structural needs aren't the same.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Keep same pitch, and have the roofs be "nested" triangles. As you pull up driveway into garage, garage/master roof should look like a smaller version of the main house roof, and the gutter line would be solid the entire way around the house.
6' overhand off of the front of the garage with nothing under it?

Builder says he would guess about $55-60k to do a full floor over the garage. The garage has no inside walls and thus no support. As drawn we're not spanning the whole floor system and thus the structural needs aren't the same.
So basically, he is just building you an attic over the garage, and you are going to finish it and use it as a closet? If that is what you have to do to meet your budget, then go for it, but it does seem that trying to fit your entire living area plus master suite into a 40x28 box is proving to be challenging.

Im not a structural engineer, but you run a big GD beam right down the center ceiling of that garage and then have 14' joists on either side and you have a room. My parents garage is huge, and that is what we did. I think we lifted 2 4" beams that were around 26' long up, and those f'res were heavy as shit, cost a few hundred bucks each. but that gave us the support needed to build a true room above the garage..and it was no where near $55-$60k. basically the cost of the beams and some additional 2x4s to support the ends.

6' overhand off of the front of the garage with nothing under it?
I dont understand that. why would you have 6' overhang off front of garage?

This is what I am picturing in my mind...A frame roof with front porch for the main house, A frame roof for the smaller portion, butted right up against each other and at the same pitch. The only difference between this pic and what you have is that the area to the right would have a garage beneath it. Is that not what you are planning?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So basically, he is just building you an attic over the garage, and you are going to finish it and use it as a closet? If that is what you have to do to meet your budget, then go for it, but it does seem that trying to fit your entire living area plus master suite into a 40x28 box is proving to be challenging.
Basically.

Im not a structural engineer, but you run a big GD beam right down the center ceiling of that garage and then have 14' joists on either side and you have a room. My parents garage is huge, and that is what we did. I think we lifted 2 4" beams that were around 26' long up, and those f'res were heavy as shit, cost a few hundred bucks each. but that gave us the support needed to build a true room above the garage..and it was no where near $55-$60k. basically the cost of the beams and some additional 2x4s to support the ends.
I'm a little surprised by the figure, but I'm guessing he has the structure estimated with different materials than the main section due to a lower static load. 2x10 vs 2x12 for example.

I dont understand that. why would you have 6' overhang off front of garage?

This is what I am picturing in my mind...A frame roof with front porch for the main house, A frame roof for the smaller portion, butted right up against each other and at the same pitch. The only difference between this pic and what you have is that the area to the right would have a garage beneath it. Is that not what you are planning?

I thought the suggestion was for the roof to have the same lines and share a gutter. The one in the picture does not. The roof over the main section will be 6' wider than the roof over the garage due to the overhang over the porch.

I thought the suggestion was for the roof to have the same lines and share a gutter. The one in the picture does not. The roof over the main section will be 6' wider than the roof over the garage due to the overhang over the porch.
I don't know the proper wording, but what I meant is for all the gutters to be in the same plane, exactly like what is pictured, not actually to have one seamless gutter around the house.

When I look at the plans you drew, the image in my mind for the exterior is virtually identical to that pic I posted (except minus the portion to the far left). That is why I was so confused about why it would be so difficult to put the master above the garage. My mind already had that being a full room.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Gotcha. Yeah, I dunno either. Looking forward to talking with the architect after Christmas.