• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

Bathrooms are WAY heavier than bedrooms...if you have your bathroom over the garage, you are certainly going to need structural support, which puts you right back to needing that area to be structurally sound, rather than "bonus room/attic/closet" space.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Bathrooms are WAY heavier than bedrooms...if you have your bathroom over the garage, you are certainly going to need structural support, which puts you right back to needing that area to be structurally sound, rather than "bonus room/attic/closet" space.
Tub over the garage wall with the bay window.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
That's been a popular option in the manufactured housing industry since the early 90s. Is that the back of the house? Increase the length of your master bath countertop by at least a couple of feet. What is on the other side of the enclosed toilet in the master? Open shelving or is that going to have a bypass door on it?

You may have an issue with door swing to sink or toilet clearance in that half bath. Might have to switch to a pocket door. If so, spend the extra $50 and buy a pocket door with a steel and LVL frame so it's not a flimsy POS.

What's your ceiling height throughout? What about door sizes? 3/0 x 6/8 or 7/0 or 8/0? Are you keeping all of your doors all 3/0 wide?

Did you put a post in the middle of that open area? Is that for the sistered ridge beam after the lowboy set? jjj Are you going to have a high opening from the coat closet to that post or is it going to be a standalone post chilling there full height?

Cabinet space in the kitchen is still lacking, IMHO. Why not wrap down the laundry room wall and get more cabinets and countertop space? Slam a bank of drawers or something in there. The pantry is tiny. Where are you going to put your food, in the garage or basement?

Where's your laundry sink and folding counter? Seems like an awkward setup like that without those features. Unless you put an exterior door on that wall.

Move entry door away from the stairs at least a couple of feet. Hell, 4 feet. Consider a wider entry door. 3/0 doors have 34" clear. I'd spend the extra grand and go 4/0.

What about windows (besides the bay)? Single hung / double hung / horizontal sliders / picture? Grid over grid, grid over clear, clear over clear?

Overall, it's an asymmetrical design with a highly disrupted face of the building. You don't want nooks and crannies on the face of the building like you have drawn. You can design in some relief, but with what you have there, you'll just have a pile of shit whirling around in the wind there. Shit will just collect in that area. It looks like a smaller home with a couple of budget additions built onto it.

What is your overall interior and exterior style for this house? Classic, Victorian, Contemporary, Modern, Farmhouse? Where's North? Where's the front of the house?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
What's that dead space rectangle next to the shower all about?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That's been a popular option in the manufactured housing industry since the early 90s. Is that the back of the house? Increase the length of your master bath countertop by at least a couple of feet. What is on the other side of the enclosed toilet in the master? Open shelving or is that going to have a bypass door on it?
I've honestly never seen a freestanding tub in a bay window before. I thought I was being creative.

You may have an issue with door swing to sink or toilet clearance in that half bath. Might have to switch to a pocket door. If so, spend the extra $50 and buy a pocket door with a steel and LVL frame so it's not a flimsy POS.
I hate pocket doors. Could be compelled to reduce the door size a bit if needed.

What's your ceiling height throughout? What about door sizes? 3/0 x 6/8 or 7/0 or 8/0? Are you keeping all of your doors all 3/0 wide?
Ceiling is 9'6", I think. Door sizes aren't all the same. I think I drew most of them at 32". Master bath toilet might be 24". I'd like to go with 36" all around if possible. The idea being that we're planning to potentially retire here.

Did you put a post in the middle of that open area? Is that for the sistered ridge beam after the lowboy set? jjj Are you going to have a high opening from the coat closet to that post or is it going to be a standalone post chilling there full height?
I assume there will be a beam down the center that the post will support. That was a suggestion the builder made to open it up a bit more. I drew the post at 4x4. Not sure what it would actually need to be.

Cabinet space in the kitchen is still lacking, IMHO. Why not wrap down the laundry room wall and get more cabinets and countertop space? Slam a bank of drawers or something in there. The pantry is tiny. Where are you going to put your food, in the garage or basement?
I was looking at that and thought that if we did custom cabinets, that maybe the counter could come down the wall to a pantry cabinet that takes advantage of the space dedicated to the "pantry" on the plan. Would have to take about 2' off of the island and not put a door on the pantry.... just have the custom cabinets even with the counter but recessed into that space for storage.

Where's your laundry sink and folding counter? Seems like an awkward setup like that without those features. Unless you put an exterior door on that wall.
I didn't draw that in, but I'm thinking the two boxes there are the W&D which leaves space on the far wall for a counter and/or sink. Likewise the space behind the pantry could serve one or both functions. Could put an exterior door with steps down to the garage level there. Can also turn the door around so that it opens in front of the half bath.

Move entry door away from the stairs at least a couple of feet. Hell, 4 feet. Consider a wider entry door. 3/0 doors have 34" clear. I'd spend the extra grand and go 4/0.
Entry door is centered on the house which is why I was moving the stairs around and leaving them that close. Not sure how it would look offset, especially if I went 4'.

What about windows (besides the bay)? Single hung / double hung / horizontal sliders / picture? Grid over grid, grid over clear, clear over clear?
The wife and builder discussed that. Don't remember the decision. I don't think it was anything exotic.

Overall, it's an asymmetrical design with a highly disrupted face of the building. You don't want nooks and crannies on the face of the building like you have drawn. You can design in some relief, but with what you have there, you'll just have a pile of shit whirling around in the wind there. Shit will just collect in that area. It looks like a smaller home with a couple of budget additions built onto it.

What is your overall interior and exterior style for this house? Classic, Victorian, Contemporary, Modern, Farmhouse? Where's North? Where's the front of the house?
Not sure of the term for the style. By JUOT standards, I'm thinking "modern trailer park". Probably something between modern, farmhouse, and classic. Natural hardwood, farmhouse sink in kitchen, front porch with rocking chairs, stone or brick along the foundation meeting siding for the balance of the house. Shingles, not metal or slate for the roof.

Front of house will be to the north. Land will slope down from the front. Should be able to clear 100-200 ft in front for a clear view of the mountains as the drop will put trees further down the hill below line of sight.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
What's that dead space rectangle next to the shower all about?
Plumbing wall or HVAC or both.
As drawn, the ceiling and wall slant from about 6' up the wall along the roof line. The dead space is so that the shower isn't under the slant, or if it is, it's not close on the side where the wall is. Need to have room for the shower head above my head.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You're killing me with these slanted walls on the ground floor...

What is your reasoning for that? I've always been attracted to the higher ceilings in houses we've looked at.
He means raise the roof and put in at minimum 8' walls in the space above the garage.

FYI, that single post in the living room will in no way deflect any sound from the kitchen your wife won't use because she doesn't cook, unless you hang a noise cancellation unit on there. Just sayin'.

And if you put a bathroom, full of tile, over a 28' wide space that has no structural support, your tile will crack and look awful, and you are going to have some severe sagging in there. If you are using that space for anything other than a closet, you need to just make it a full blown room.

I'd be frustrated if someone came to me an asked me to spec out and bid on a software development project that they knew they weren't giving to me ahead of time.

I sincerely doubt the others will come in lower, but I am probably still going to get bids.
Huge difference between knowing they would not get the project vs. giving them an opportunity to earn the business.

As for your later designs, I thought the bathroom stuff could not be over the garage? Your designs are getting better, using that huge wasted closet space from the beginning for better things, but it also looks like your original "requirements" are no longer requirements.

From your last drawing, I'd replace the pantry with the fridge. Then move the master bedroom wall down a couple feet and put a much larger pantry there. 19'6" vs 17'6" isn't going to make any difference in how big the room feels.