• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Counter Tops

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
:wifey: wants to change out the appliances and put in new countertops. The cabinets are in very good condition so we elected to keep them. The microwave and the cabinet above it will be replaced with a nice vent fan.

Looked at Corian countertops but didn't like them. Choice now is granite or marble countertops. I’m thinking a nice light grey color granite with a brighter tiled backsplash to add color. What say the home improvements guru’s of JUOT?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I think we've determined cement is placed and concrete is poured

or is it the other way around? :rotflmao:

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
This went well. :wtf:

All the home improvement snobs in this place and this is the best you got?

:rolleyes:

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
We going with Alaska White granite and carerra marble backsplash.

Edit: This is what we're after, only with white cabinets. Given your cabinet color, i'd go with something darker like Verde Butterfly.

Last edited:

hjeepxj

I'm a fan of Baltic brown granite counter tops, make sure and put a good looking subway/glass backsplash that coordinates. I'm more of a fan of natural colors on counters/backsplash. Adding color via paint is IMHO "smarter".

As far as your grey counter top / brighter backsplash, I'm intrigued, but I can't picture it. I'm having trouble seeing a good looking bright colored backsplash tile that doesn't look like it belongs in a bathroom or sumptin'.

Granite is my favorite option. I love marble, but it is softer, and could potentially stain, and I think it is a better option for a bathroom. Aside from taking a hammer and just beating on it, you pretty much cant damage granite. There is virtually no maintentance, just wipe it down.

And cement countertops suck. Way to fing dusty, that shit will get all over your chicken. Concrete is a better option, but not my favorite.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
Granite is my favorite option. I love marble, but it is softer, and could potentially stain, and I think it is a better option for a bathroom. Aside from taking a hammer and just beating on it, you pretty much cant damage granite. There is virtually no maintentance, just wipe it down.
Granite sucks.

Ralph

VIP
Laminate has come a long ass way in the last 10 years. I would give high quality laminate serious consideration over granite, marble, or solid surface.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
This went well. :wtf:

All the home improvement snobs in this place and this is the best you got?

:rolleyes:
Check out quartz. Find a stone shop that will cut DalTile quartz, I think it is called One. They have multiple stones identical to Cambria at a fraction of the cost. If you really like grey tops, another brand that isn't insanely expensive is Quantra. I'm not sure Color Quartz has a presence in AK, but they are reasonable too. We buy Color Quartz direct from China by the container full. Cambria, Caesarstone and Silestone will cost you more.

Another interesting product is Geomatrix Minerva. It's 98% recycled material - fly ash, glass, dye, not sure what else. It's a cast product. Geomatrix is out of Bozeman. We just awarded a project to them because they kicked the hell out of quartz and granite costs in a project slated for Yellowstone.

quartz is better than granite for a number of reasons:

color - consistent color throughout which conceals the seams.
strength - more durable, less susceptible to scratching, chipping, cracking
non-porous - will not absorb liquids that could stain. Important if you are wanting the lighter colors.

Usually quartz is more expensive, but it would be what I would choose if I had to do my kitchen over. I have Santa Cecilia granite.