• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

LED lighting

John

Transplant
VIP
Anyone who has Duke Power can buy LED bulbs through Duke's store at a HUGE discount, FYI.
I saw that the other day. We got two huge boxes of CFL bulbs when we moved in here for free from them. I think they are making the switch to LED now.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I'm up to about 10 led lamps in the house. Plan on a full swap but that's going to take some time. Just the basement has 23 fixtures.
I plan on the same thing here though obviously in an apartment, much smaller number. Some lights I'll replace ahead of time for the faster light up. Others, not so much. IE, the lamp on the GF's side of the bed only gets used one or two nights a week if that. No reason to change it. Same with closets or laundry.

OTOH, lamp at my desk or by my side of the bed... those are already LED. I might use my remaining can bulbs as indirect light when taking pictures. Or something like that.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
I saw that the other day. We got two huge boxes of CFL bulbs when we moved in here for free from them. I think they are making the switch to LED now.
My in-laws got a bunch of Philips LEDs for $7 each when HD and Lowe's have them for $20.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Sam's Club has had GE LED lights pretty cheap. 100w equivalent for $10 versus the $20 at Walmart.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Wow, last three I got were $9.95.

I'll have to look when I go later this week. I'll be pissed if they doubled the price.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
My 600 watts of halogens in my living room ceiling really heat up the room if left on. Turn them on when I'm cold.

So far we've installed one cheapie LED fixture in our garage entryway, LED bulb/trim kits in the can lights in the basement, and LED strip lighting in the bar. Haven't converted anything else to LED Bulbs yet, will likely pick some up on my next trip to big box store for stuff.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
I've had one not a year old burn out. The rest.. I switch them because with my ceiling heights, its a major bitch to change them. I only use floods. Heat was my major concern as I like brightness, but not uber hot bubls.