• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

LOL cherokee

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Obviously the WK2 is superior in every conceivable way. You guys were building up the XJ like it was some offroad legend.
MY XJs HAVEN'T TOUCHED PAVEMENT IN 8 YEARS!!!

Of course, they haven't moved, either. I wonder if there's anything living in them yet.

Ralph

VIP
Anyone see this on Allpar?

News Can (will) Jeep bring back the XJ Cherokee?

I think the best and maybe cheapest option for a "new" XJ would be a tin top (as in not removable) Wrangler, with different front fenders and/or grill. Mopar's already shown they can build a different front end on a JK (NuKizer etc).
Problem with the JK platform is that it just costs too damn much to be an XJ replacement. They also need to differentiate the two. By the time you build an XJ2 on the JK platform, you're into JK pricing territory. Why not just buy the Wrangler then? These factors make me skeptical of any JK-based XJ2's potential.

Zatz hits on something in that article - the new Ram/Fiat truck platform would potentially be a great starting point.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
Problem with the JK platform is that it just costs too damn much to be an XJ replacement. They also need to differentiate the two. By the time you build an XJ2 on the JK platform, you're into JK pricing territory. Why not just buy the Wrangler then? These factors make me skeptical of any JK-based XJ2's potential.

Zatz hits on something in that article - the new Ram/Fiat truck platform would potentially be a great starting point.
Agreed... unless you rename the Wrangler Unlimited a Cherokee and change the front clip/rear headlights.

But honestly, the Wrangler Unlimited is the Cherokee's functional replacement.

Ralph

VIP
Agreed... unless you rename the Wrangler Unlimited a Cherokee and change the front clip/rear headlights.

But honestly, the Wrangler Unlimited is the Cherokee's functional replacement.
The cost thing keeps it from being the Cherokee's replacement in the marketplace.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
My dad signed me up for a year subscription to Consumer Reports. Jeep (along with Chrysler and Dodge) has horrible ratings for reliability. I checked some other sources and found the same. I thought this was one are they were working on and really stepped it up? Their reliability ratings are one of the worst out of all vehicles made. WTF?

Ralph

VIP
My dad signed me up for a year subscription to Consumer Reports. Jeep (along with Chrysler and Dodge) has horrible ratings for reliability. I checked some other sources and found the same. I thought this was one are they were working on and really stepped it up? Their reliability ratings are one of the worst out of all vehicles made. WTF?
Reliability ratings are seriously skewed now. They split hairs for those ratings. You can't put a whole lot of stock in them because the industry as a whole has made leaps and bounds in improvements. I can remember when it was common to take your car in every 10,000 miles (or less) for a tune up because it was running like shit. Or when it was common to take your new car back to the dealer 5-6 times in the first year to work the QA kinks out of it.

Even the worst Jeep built today is more reliable than the best Jeep built 15 years ago. There are and always will be lemons, but it's incredibly hard to find a truly bad vehicle anymore.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
You needed CR to tell you that? Practically everyone here says that.

And it could be nitpicking over little things. Ford is getting poor reviews because old coots can't figure out how to work MyTouch or whatever their version is called.

Problem with the JK platform is that it just costs too damn much to be an XJ replacement.
JK is almost too much $ to be a TJ replacement as well. At least IMO.

I thought it was a dumb article. He's probably one of the guys over there that comes up with ideas to bring Plymouth back, too.

Last edited:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
You needed CR to tell you that? Practically everyone here says that.

And it could be nitpicking over little things. Ford is getting poor reviews because old coots can't figure out how to work MyTouch or whatever their version is called.
Nobody can work MyTouch well, because it doesn't ****ing work well. That thing is the biggest piece of shit I've ever encountered.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Anyone see this on Allpar?

News Can (will) Jeep bring back the XJ Cherokee?

I think the best and maybe cheapest option for a "new" XJ would be a tin top (as in not removable) Wrangler, with different front fenders and/or grill. Mopar's already shown they can build a different front end on a JK (NuKizer etc).
The four door wrangler has taken its place around here . lots of suburbanites are buying them as kid haulers now. That means there will be plenty on the used market when im ready to buy one as a toy.

Wagonslayer

I solve problems.
VIP
My jeeps have never failed to start, stop, run, turn,light up, or shift, even after 400K miles. All the reliability I need.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium

BREAKING NEWS: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk reveal at Moab. True low range and rear locker available, 2.4 liter 4 cyl or 3.6 liter 6 cly, nine speed auto.

John

Transplant
VIP
Nobody can work MyTouch well, because it doesn't ****ing work well. That thing is the biggest piece of shit I've ever encountered.
Agreed. I wanted to like it, but the POS kept crashing on me. I had it happen on several cars.

JK is almost too much $ to be a TJ replacement as well. At least IMO.
Are you guys forgetting about inflation? An Unlimited Sport starts at $25k msrp.

Ralph

VIP
Are you guys forgetting about inflation? An Unlimited Sport starts at $25k msrp.
Are you forgetting that salaries haven't kept pace with inflation? 25k is relatively balla price range.

I'd roll the new Cherokee. I like the look.