• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

New Jeep

Grease, wrenches, gaskets, sockets.....ahhhh nothing like laying under the vehicle and cracking the diff or reworking the fuel system with the significant other. Best weekends of my life.
haven't followed all your posts, but the work you mentioned is of much more value when performed on a car which is an investment. doing work on a paycheck daily driver just sucks, and i have done a lot of it. doing the same work on a mid-year corvette that will be worth 20k more than you have invested is a much more valuable use of time.

Vette gone? That was great bang for the buck purchase.
still have it, being a 2002 it is out of warranty and i don't use it as a daily driver. chit, car was just shy of 18k miles when i bought it. it has yet to reach 21k miles... still worth more than i paid for it.

squirrely

skwirlie fing
haven't followed all your posts, but the work you mentioned is of much more value when performed on a car which is an investment. doing work on a paycheck daily driver just sucks, and i have done a lot of it. doing the same work on a mid-year corvette that will be worth 20k more than you have invested is a much more valuable use of time.
I don't know if any of our vehicles are investments - though the '63 bug is worth way more than we paid - just the way the hubcap is. But, neither of us commute. I work from home and he's retired so we're in an uncommon position to be able to have old cars and not worry... though every time that old '65 F250 broke down the cursing was epic.

Is teh YJ a 4.2 or 4.0?

Why not follow in the footsteps of 1000's of others and drop in a 5.3?
It had the 4.2. It was at 206k miles.
How many miles?

139k on my turd yj and it runs great. My 55k XJ idles hot of course. :banghead:
The YJ had 206k, and it ran wonderfully until this happened. The XJ has 226k, and it runs well too. There is some rust along the underbody, but nothing too serious. Just replaced the u-joint and there are some other things that require attention. I too have the problem of idling hot. It is quite a pain since I have to turn my car off whenever I deliver food to someone's house and the start/stopping certainly isn't good for the engine, but its better than overheating.

And for those wondering about the costs and who payed for what, my father paid for both the YJ and the XJ. However, I do pay for all parts and maintenance, and I always help my dad when it comes to fixing/replacing things.

Also, a pic of the YJ being put on the dolly to be towed to my uncle's to be kept in a garage. Plan on replacing the engine with a 4.0 then selling the XJ.

John

Transplant
VIP
Of course if you beat the shit out of it, it may not last beyond 50k.
I disagree with that. I beat the shit out of my old Blazers, my Volvo, and my XJ and they all have lasted well over 200k miles. I straight up abused them, but I was religious with the maintenance. I think that is what goes a long ways, as long as you have a proven drivetrain...

Although, one of those Blazers was a 2.8l and they have a reputation of being junk.