• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Review of ASUS G750JX-DB71 17.3-Inch Laptop Hint: It [was] AWESOME![Now Disappointed]

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
There's a reason I prefer to stick with the likes of Dell, Lenovo, or HP.
Looking for a new machine now and I can't find anything worth a shit from Lenovo or HP :( Overpriced and underpowered is all I can find. Did hardware stop advancing 2.5 years ago when I got my last machine?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I emailed Asus asking where/how I can buy a keyboard and they said send it back in for service... I replied no- I want to do it myself- let's see if they can help.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Talked with an authorized service center today- apparently the keyboard can't be replaced on this model it need a new "top piece" and the tech thinks it is around $300 but he can't check nor order the piece today because the website is down, I need to try back next week. :rolleyes:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I have had my ASUS G750JX DB71 since October of 2013 and only a few months in keys on my keyboard stopped popping back up. I replaced the first one for $15 myself... then 2 more stopped... now several more have stopped popping up. $15 a key is ridiculous so I don't want to replace one key at a time, I wanted a new keyboard.

I emailed ASUS support and they want me to send the laptop back in- but I can't do that- ASUS might keep it for weeks (or worse.) I repeatedly asked them if I could buy a keyboard and they say no they don't sell parts to customers.

So I found an ASUS authorized service center in New York City and after finding out the specific make/model/serial number they tell me I can't buy just a keyboard, the entire "top" piece needs to be replaced- and I say, fine... But then they say the piece is out of stock on ASUS's website with no ETA when it will be available- so even their local authorized service center can't get this piece. (The Website is private and only they can check it apparently too.)

I very much got the "You're SOL" vibe from the technician basically thinking this will never be available.

He estimated should it come available it was around $300 for the piece.

It's more than I hoped but I'd still pay it.

This was the most expensive laptop I've purchased in my adult life and I was very happy with it initially and made great reviews around the web for it- but now I deeply regret the purchase. :(

I would not buy from ASUS again.

They bad keys issue has been known on their forum for almost a year- no action taken.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So what are you going to replace it with? My friend still seems happy with his MSI. I'm also curious to see real world reviews of the Razor Blade offerings.

The New Razer Blade Pro - 17.3 Full HD Gaming Laptop

I realize it's a stretch to consider your usage "real world" (17", 60 browser tabs, etc), but still.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Get Macbook Air and Apple TV, then Airplay your screen to your tv screen.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Not sure I can replace it anytime soon- that Razer Blade Pro looks great though.
I'd have to go with the 14" Razer Blade. I don't see myself ever buying a 17" monstrosity. I just can't justify the price when I can get the 15" MBP with double the SSD capacity for the same money.