• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

SIMCITY

this pleases me greatly. Simcity 3000 was the last one i played.

but this old laptop is just touching the min sys requirements.

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Well the beta became available today for those who pre-purchased (through Amazon at least...)

It's disappointing... hopefully limitations of the Beta mostly... Biggest issue is the maps are SMALL... Very small compared to maps in earlier Sim Cities... There are NO bridges best I can tell... No map editor- you get to pick a city in a pre-defined region... No airports in you city either- they are in "regions" outside of cities...

The lack of having to run pipes and power cable are definite pluses but really missing the rest of it. You also don't control zoning density anymore... you zone residential but whether it is low or high density depends on land value, roads, and other in game options.

The graphics are disappointing too... On low quality they are much more boring than SC4 or SC3 graphics... on higher res/higher quality performance was annoying- again this may be helped once it is out of Beta.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Preview looks good. SimCity was quite literally one the reasons I got interested in computers.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So it turns out the Beta was only available to play for 3 days... Now it's been pulled- no talk of it coming back. I thought the 3 days was just a window in which you had to download it.

So you get 3 days of a half-finished game and now you have to wait a month and half before you can play it again. :down:

I did find small airports and other missing features after all- but bridges are still not an option as far as I can tell.

whatttup_G

免租的母狗!!11!
sounds like you've played most the previous editions? would a first timer notice some of the issues you found?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I have played every Sim City there was that I know of from the original, to 2000, 3000, and 4.

A first timer of course would never miss stuff they never knew used to exist- it still is promising I believe, just wish it was more like the older versions to a point then everything being 3D rendered- kind of useless IMO for a city simulation.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
SimCity Beta 2 seems to be a giant failure... Been trying for an hour to connect to a server to play- neither work. Server 1 gives an error message before the city starts being "built" and then hangs, Server 2 simply hangs when you try to start the game in a never ending loop of random phrases and game "hints."

You can tell already have to rely on their server to play is going to be a disaster.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You can tell already have to rely on their server to play is going to be a disaster.
Didn't they say that the game can be played offline? I think you only have to have an internet connection to install the game and play the online multiplayer.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
SimCity Beta 2 seems to be a giant failure... Been trying for an hour to connect to a server to play- neither work. Server 1 gives an error message before the city starts being "built" and then hangs, Server 2 simply hangs when you try to start the game in a never ending loop of random phrases and game "hints."

That's the reason Half Life 2 was the last PC game I ever bought. ****ing thing had to talk to their servers before it would let me play my game. Infuriated me to the point of abandoning PC games in favor of consoles.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Name me a console game that you can't get and play offline on your PC.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Name me a console game that you can't get and play offline on your PC.
Half Life 2. It had to check into Steam before it would let you play the single player. It made me almost stab my ****ing computer.