• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The ZJ needs Brakes

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I think we're leaning toward scrapping. :(

It couldn't even be safely driven to Hub's at this point.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Highest scrap offer is $400 (others were $350, $325, and $200) - so anyone wants it and can pick it up for $400 is welcome to it.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Thanks.

I remember the days my uncle would replace brakes right in the driveway.., too bad he's pushing 70 now and in Florida.

I could barely check my own oil... even if I was physically able I'd have no idea on brakes.
I take a lot of pride in being able to do things myself. It's got to suck to have to depend on other people to do things for you. I like it a lot better having a choice. Knowing you can do something and what it'll take makes you feel good about the value when you decide to pay someone to do the work for you.

edit: wish I lived closer. I'd change them for you, in your driveway, for free.

Pads - Front: $20 DuralastBrake Pads - Front (MKD477) | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 8 Cylinders Y 5.2L MFI | AutoZone.com
Calipers - Front: $46 Duralast RemanBrake Caliper - Front (C337) | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 8 Cylinders Y 5.2L MFI | AutoZone.com
Rotors - Front: $54 DuralastBrake Rotor - Front (5115) | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 8 Cylinders Y 5.2L MFI | AutoZone.com

Pads - Rear: $23 Brake Pads - Rear | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 8 Cylinders Y 5.2L MFI | AutoZone.com
Calipers - Rear: $72 Duralast RemanBrake Caliper - Rear (C427) | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 8 Cylinders Y 5.2L MFI | AutoZone.com
Rotors - Rear: $56 DuralastBrake Rotor - Rear (5360) | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 8 Cylinders Y 5.2L MFI | AutoZone.com

Could literally replace everything including lines for under $300 in parts. Most likely, you could get away with just pads and rotors for under $200 in parts.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I've had them seize before. If one goes, I replace both, lines, pads, and rotors.

Ralph

VIP
I've had them seize before. If one goes, I replace both, lines, pads, and rotors.
:shrug: I had one seize on the ZJ after I put rear pads on it a few years ago. It happens if the pads wear down and then you compress the piston into an area that hasn't been utilized for a long time. Just replaced that one caliper and all has been well ever since.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
DAMN BRO, IF I WAS CLOSER I'D DO THEM TOO.

Hardest part is getting that ****ing washer that cuts your fingers all up off.

John

Transplant
VIP
On high mileage vehicles, I've had them partially seaze and wear the pads unevenly. I was able to fix them by cleaning everything and greasing the slide pins.

I'm not saying that will work everytime, but I do think brake calipers are grossly over replaced.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
:shrug: I had one seize on the ZJ after I put rear pads on it a few years ago. It happens if the pads wear down and then you compress the piston into an area that hasn't been utilized for a long time. Just replaced that one caliper and all has been well ever since.
I figure that if I'm doing it, and replacing everything else, I may as well spend the $30 and do everything.

On high mileage vehicles, I've had them partially seaze and wear the pads unevenly. I was able to fix them by cleaning everything and greasing the slide pins.

I'm not saying that will work everytime, but I do think brake calipers are grossly over replaced.
Also vehicles that sit for long periods of time. They're cheap on the TJ, so I have no qualms over replacing one rather than ruining another set of pads and rotors. In my case, seized doesn't mean wearing unevenly. My front left seized while I was driving, brakes felt funny and didn't stop well, and when I pulled over the brakes were smoking.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
If I were close I'd replace them for you
I'm sure hubjeep would do it. He's a pretty good dude with time on his hands and likes that stuff. BOP should ring him up. I'd do it if I was close.

bop, I put new rotors and pads on my 2500 for $340 buying AC Delco stuff from amazon.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I figure that if I'm doing it, and replacing everything else, I may as well spend the $30 and do everything.

Also vehicles that sit for long periods of time. They're cheap on the TJ, so I have no qualms over replacing one rather than ruining another set of pads and rotors. In my case, seized doesn't mean wearing unevenly. My front left seized while I was driving, brakes felt funny and didn't stop well, and when I pulled over the brakes were smoking.
I had one seize on my landcruiser and destroyed a BFG AT. the tire monkey at sams club was pissed I used the warranty to replace it. :jump:

I had to power it off the road before getting killed and dragged it 50 yards :jump:

Last edited:
I'm sure hubjeep would do it. He's a pretty good dude with time on his hands and likes that stuff. BOP should ring him up. I'd do it if I was close.

bop, I put new rotors and pads on my 2500 for $340 buying AC Delco stuff from amazon.
he probably would, i did speak to him yesterday actually, after who knows how many months....

he is a genuine helpful guy.