• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Where did the black people/watermelon stereotype come from?

Not that I never eat pizza but I usually don't, if we're playing poker or something and everyone wants to order some pies then I'll have a slice or two... I like it better when it's cold actually.

chronos [JU]

Archived
trixiechick said:
When a mommy swallows a watermelon seed, the baby grows in her tummy and makes her real fat then she pushes it out her hoo-hoo and collects gubment checks and cheese.
There is something seriously wrong with you :jump:

Since the earliest days of plantation slavery, the caricature of the dark-skinned black child, his too-red lips stretched to grotesque extremes as they opened to chomp down on watermelon, was a staple of racism's diet. Over time, the watermelon became a symbol of the broader denigration of black people. It became part of the image perpetuated by a white culture bent upon bolstering the myth of superiority by depicting the inferior race as lazy, simple-minded pickaninnies interested only in such mindless pleasures as a slice of sweet watermelon.

That's bullsh!t... the book I'm reading on Churchill, one of his commanding officers described Churchill as "he works like a ni****" and meant it as a complement.

Calling slaves lazy???

BirdOPrey5 said:
That's bullsh!t... the book I'm reading on Churchill, one of his commanding officers described Churchill as "he works like a ni****" and meant it as a complement.

Calling slaves lazy???
If you didn't whip them, they were.

Look at Africa. All they do is fawk, and kill eachother.