• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Windows 10

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Finally nuked oldest daughter's laptop and installed from scratch. Had to burn an MSDN product key because I formatted the drive and didn't want to screw with bringing back old settings.
FYI if you use the Media Creation Tool to perform the upgrade, you can choose the "keep nothing" option and it will perform a clean install (clean windows directory, not clean partition) but will preserve the license and bring it through to activate the new install. After the install you will have the Windows.old directory you can just delete.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
something else to check after upgrading to 10, go in and make sure system restore is not disabled. The upgrade disbled mine, even on the PC where the install failed twice. I went in to recover to a point before previous windows updates, and there were no recovery points available.

Checked on the PC where the upgrade was a success, and sure enough, restore had been disabled.

just a thought.

Stu Cozza

is Good for America
Buddy of mine says to wait till the bugs are worked out.
That's what I figured, but now I am tempted to load it into this ThinkPad/Win7... just to use it as a test mule until the new one shows up.

Installed on my Lenovo X120E, so far it's working fine.
How is your Lenovo working otherwise? I have a ThinkPad X1 Carbon coming sometime soon, provided the typhoon in Taiwan doesn't blow it clear to Malaysia. :eek:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Still trying to get one of my VMs upgraded. Seems like the installer thinks the space required is a moving target. I expanded the virtual disk twice now and it keeps coming up with new numbers for how much space it needs.

Snapshotting it now to try for the third time to upgrade it.

I think when I get my new laptop (skylake MBP), I may go ahead and rebuild my development VM from scratch. It's getting pretty ridiculous how much crap is on it. It seems excessive to be using 110gb of space for just the OS and applications.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Installation failed. Not sure why. No error message or log that I could find. Just a box that tells me it failed.

edit: doing some more Windows updates now. Will see if that makes a difference or not. If I don't get anywhere, I may start a new Windows 10 VM from scratch and take this as an opportunity to rebuild my dev machine from scratch.

Last edited:

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
Narrowly escaped the upgrade. It started downloading this morning following an update. I nixed it and de-registered myself for the upgrade and removed the icon from my tray. :stagefright:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Having zero luck updating any of my W7 VMs to W10. Rolling a new one now.... not enjoying reinstalling everything.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Looks like a success on my end.

Did you shut off all of the customized settings that collects data on what you do?

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
I've had the "edge" browser crash a lot. For something that is a rip off of Chrome, Chrome never crashes. :shrug:

I was surprised the upgrade didn't mess with Explorer too much, I wonder if a clean install even comes with IE?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I've had the "edge" browser crash a lot. For something that is a rip off of Chrome, Chrome never crashes. :shrug:

I was surprised the upgrade didn't mess with Explorer too much, I wonder if a clean install even comes with IE?
It's on my laptop which hasn't had anything but 10 and beta versions as long as I've had it.

IE isn't as easily found however. I had to make it my default browser to locate it and then affix to the task bar.

Edge wouldn't import IE favorites for some reason.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
Edge imported everything for me. :confused:

Don't much care for the way 10 handles Windows updates though. Oh well.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Edge works better on my laptop, not sure why it won't work on my workstation. I tend to think I should still wipe the thing one of these days, I'd just like to replace it with a new box since it is 6+ years old.