• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Windows 10

Justin

Damn.
VIP
I'm sure by now you all have your Win 7 and 8.1 machines upgraded to Windows 10. :eyemo:

I've been running the 10 preview at home for months and it patched itself to the official 10 launch build overnight. I upgraded my SP3 from 8.1 to 10 this morning. I normally hate OS upgrade installs and usually do fresh installs, but the 10 upgrade install is pretty painless.

Seems to be running just fine. :shrug:

Now if they would just hurry up and finish the phone version...

I'm sure by now you all have your Win 7 and 8.1 machines upgraded to Windows 10. :eyemo:

I've been running the 10 preview at home for months and it patched itself to the official 10 launch build overnight. I upgraded my SP3 from 8.1 to 10 this morning. I normally hate OS upgrade installs and usually do fresh installs, but the 10 upgrade install is pretty painless.

Wifey's Dell has 8.1. I want to upgrade, but dont want to mess anything up, or otherwise lose any data. How risky is the upgrade?

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP

I've been using 10 for some time now. I really like it.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Wifey's Dell has 8.1. I want to upgrade, but dont want to mess anything up, or otherwise lose any data. How risky is the upgrade?
Any upgrade is always somewhat risky, but this one seems fairly low-risk.

Since it's a machine that's important to you, you might wait a few days to make sure that no show-stopper bugs are found. Also, you can make a full system image backup before doing the upgrade that would be the easiest way to back out of the deal if it goes south. At a minimum you should back up important files just in case, but you're already doing that regularly, right? :D

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I only have one Windows machine and it's my work lappy running Windows 7.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Going to hold off for a while, make sure it works for everyone. I see no compelling reason to upgrade sooner than later, within the first year.

Any upgrade is always somewhat risky, but this one seems fairly low-risk.

Since it's a machine that's important to you, you might wait a few days to make sure that no show-stopper bugs are found. Also, you can make a full system image backup before doing the upgrade that would be the easiest way to back out of the deal if it goes south. At a minimum you should back up important files just in case, but you're already doing that regularly, right? :D
Everything business related/important is on google drive, and the only thing else we have that we care about are our photos, which we do back up to an external hard drive.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Was reading earlier that Microsoft has reserved approx 40 Tbps of global internet bandwidth amongst various ISP's and CDN's to accommodate the Windows 10 rollout. That's pretty impressive.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I've been using the evaluation for some time now. What are your concerns?
My concern is I don't want to screw up a machine that has been running as is. I don't see anything new in Windows 10 I care about. In short there is all risk and zero reward.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
My concern is I don't want to screw up a machine that has been running as is. I don't see anything new in Windows 10 I care about. In short there is all risk and zero reward.
I've never had an issue with an upgrade in Windows, have you?

neevo

Limey Hippo
When I worked in a PC manuf tech support line we were inundated with upgrade failures. Mostly down to unsupported (ie OLD) hardware but enough to make me hold off upgrading.

I will wait until the inevitable patched have been released before switching to it for my main machine

neevo

Limey Hippo
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

Starting today, Microsoft is offering most Windows 7 and Windows 8 users a free upgrade to the software giant’s latest operating system — Windows 10. But there’s a very important security caveat that users should know about before transitioning to the new OS: Unless you opt out, Windows 10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends!

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The last time I upgraded between major versions (for personal use) was from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. I've upgraded for other people, sure, but personally I think I've always just bought a new computer or installed from scratch.

And yes, I have had issues upgrading versions in the past. Hell I've had problems with critical updates that had left my computer in bad shape.