• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Windows 10

Ralph

VIP
The last time I upgraded between major versions (for personal use) was from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. I've upgraded for other people, sure, but personally I think I've always just bought a new computer or installed from scratch.

And yes, I have had issues upgrading versions in the past. Hell I've had problems with critical updates that had left my computer in bad shape.
So you're scared of this upgrade because you had issues 20 years ago going from what was essentially a DOS shell to a whole new 32-bit architecture? :rotflmao:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
No I didn't have problems with the Windows 95 upgrade matter of factly.

I have had issues upgrading other people's computers. I've had problems more recently with my own and bad critical updates.

It comes down to Windows 10 having no noticeable benefit over Windows 8.1 for me. Even if the risk is small it's still some. Risk without possibility of reward is stupid.

The only reward will really be when Windows 8.1 is no longer supported or until something I want is only available for Windows 10.

Thankfully I have avoided Windows 8. I'm satisfied with Win 7 on my laptop, but not sure if I should leave it as is or upgrade to Win 10 or upgrade to Linux. My main desktop is linux, but I like to keep a windows box around just in case I need to do something that requires Windows and doesn't run under Wine (compatibility layer that lets windows apps run on linux). I suppose the best option would be to convert my laptop to linux and run Windows 10 in a virtual machine on my desktop, but as I only have OEM Windows installed on my laptop, that's not an option unless I go buy a copy.

I guess I'll have to upgrade to windows 10. Unfortunately I don't have the "get windows 10" icon that was supposed to appear after the latest win 7 update I did a few days ago - looks like I have another 4 updates + 2 optional updates waiting.

Last edited:

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
If they made a version of Adobe Lightroom for Linux, I would ditch MS... but since my personal desktop is running an enterprise copy of Win 7... I'll have to buy Win 10. I need to reformat and reinstall, but my key is likely dead.

If they made a version of Adobe Lightroom for Linux, I would ditch MS... but since my personal desktop is running an enterprise copy of Win 7... I'll have to buy Win 10. I need to reformat and reinstall, but my key is likely dead.
Maybe look at LightZone or Darktable as an alternative? I don't use those types of apps so no clue. Free, so nothing to lose by trying.

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
My first post from Windows 10.
After it installed, looks like everything is here. Launched Chrome, seems to be doing fine, other than it dropped my 2nd monitor after a few minutes. Will have to dig in to the configuration.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
MICROSOFT FANBOIS ITT!!!! :pirate:
Not very good ones...

No I didn't have problems with the Windows 95 upgrade matter of factly.

I have had issues upgrading other people's computers. I've had problems more recently with my own and bad critical updates.

It comes down to Windows 10 having no noticeable benefit over Windows 8.1 for me.
If they made a version of Adobe Lightroom for Linux, I would ditch MS...
Thankfully I have avoided Windows 8. I'm satisfied with Win 7 on my laptop, but not sure if I should leave it as is or upgrade to Win 10 or upgrade to Linux.

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
Turns out it installed a new driver on my first boot to 10. Restarted, and my second monitor is back. :rockz:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Honestly it solved a crash issue I was having on a Workstation or at least something solved that nightmare.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I'm going to install it on my workstation asap. Have had it on my laptop for months and like it better than the rest.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
I haven't been this positive about a Windows upgrade since 95 and NT 4.0 replaced 3.1 and NT 3.51, respectively.

For those running Windows 7, I will say that from Windows 8 and up, the data execution protection in Windows offers significantly more protection against malware such as PlugX, Zeus, Derusbi, etc. It has further protection against DLL side-loading and other attack methods, and as a rule of thumb will make you safer from drive-by attacks which is how most people are popped.

Windows 10 will take that a step further, and do so without the shitty interface.

My kid's Windows machines and my Windows VMs will be moving to 10 in the next few days. The fact that I've been in a memory forensics class all week just reinforces to me how easy it is to get popped with an older OS.

Oh, and bock Flash, it needs to die. Right. now.

Shotgun

Lurker
I'm wary of Win10. Why is MS essentially giving away the OS, and why are they being so pushy for people to upgrade?

Easier to spy on people? Lock you into paying for updates in the future? There has to be some motive other than they want you to have a safe and pleasant computing experience. :wtf:

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
I'm wary of Win10. Why is MS essentially giving away the OS, and why are they being so pushy for people to upgrade?

Easier to spy on people? Lock you into paying for updates in the future? There has to be some motive other than they want you to have a safe and pleasant computing experience. :wtf:
It resets their support model - they are paying an arm and a leg to maintain backwards-compatibility and patching for older versions of Windows.

They do need to find new revenue streams, since their phone efforts seem to be dead.