• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Windows 10

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I've realized that even though I'm a Unix guy not a windows guy, to my family I'm just the computer guy. I figure I better install win10 and get to know it a bit before my father/step-mom/sister/etc. start asking me about it.
I bought my mom and stepfather a refurb HP with 7 on it around last Christmas. Already told them to ignore the Win10 popups because I'm not ready to learn it yet. I am good with 7.

Gawker/Lifehacker are gushing over 10...kind of like how Jalopnik gets super gay over Miatas.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
My Dad's bluetooth mouse he bought earlier this year won't work after "upgrading" to Windows 10

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ralph

VIP
The Surface is not getting very far... it supposedly downloaded Win 10, but now "checking for updates" and has stalled on that :owned: I guess the update server is slammed :shrug:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Mine worked pretty well overall. I did have an issue with my local server, but I'm unsure whether it was a result of updates to the server or my workstation. Reboots to both fixed all. :shrug:

Need to get me a very good video player for all of the various formats. I tried running something tonight through the built in app and it wouldn't do it.

EDIT: Belay that comment, some of it appears to be the location. Huh.

Last edited:

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
I just went back to Windows 7. It did not like my ethernet adapter for some reason. Oh well, was easy and painless to try, and only 10 min or less to go back to the way it was. :thup2:

Ralph

VIP
Sub par equipment I guess.
Surface Pro 2 16gb :shrug2:

Seemed like most of the delay was due to slow servers. I am not complaining... it's why I did this on the Surface first. Everything's up and running. No issues so far.

[edit]128gb, not 16gb. Fawk, I was tired last night.

Last edited:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Didn't get it installed today. Not enough space on my VM. Will clean up and try again tomorrow.

Posting from windows 10. Finally.

First impressions, meh. The start menu kinda sucks now. Window decorations, and everything really, is a bit ugly. As time goes on and I learn it more I may eventually prefer it. For now though, it feels like a commercial trying to force me into using MS apps and services. If you are on Win 7 I'd say don't bother upgrading, stick with 7 for another 11 months or until you run into a compatibility issue.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
If you are on Win 7 I'd say don't bother upgrading, stick with 7 for another 11 months or until you run into a compatibility issue.
I "reserved" my copy a few weeks ago. How do I un-reserve it and get out of the auto-overnight-update?

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
Surface Pro 2 16gb :shrug2:

Seemed like most of the delay was due to slow servers. I am not complaining... it's why I did this on the Surface first. Everything's up and running. No issues so far.
was yours running Windows RT 8.1? It's my understanding RT won't upgrade to 10 but a patch is supposed to come out in Sept. :shrug:

I wasn't even going to try.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
pretty sure it downloads in the background automatically and prompts you when it's ready to install. I think some files were rolled out as updates even before the 29th.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
Mine told me once my 'copy was available' that it would DL and auto-upgrade overnight. My computer sleeps at night so I'm not sure how that would happen. Maybe I'll catch it and say No No Bad Kitty.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
We are upgrading to Office 2013 next week. We are still running Windows 7.

Last edited:

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
I have the windows classic theme on my laptop running 7. Never been a fan of all those animated gradient buttons and transparent windows.