• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Windows 10

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm going to try to upgrade one of my dev/work VMs today. I've never done a Windows OS upgrade. Typically I'd take that as an opportunity to start with a clean slate and fresh installs for everything. Less of a concern with Windows itself and more of a concern for all of the junk I've installed over the years.

If this goes well, I may backup and upgrade my main dev/work VM on my Macbook once I get it back from having the logic board replaced a second time.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I did my primary computer last evening. Went off without a hitch. Absolutely perfect so far, but of course I left shortly thereafter.

I had a start menu app running on it under 8 which 10 retains. I don't use any such on my laptop and ti works ok so I might just deactivate it.

I'm wondering when 10 becomes available for Enterprise customers. I checked my SA site this morning and didn't see it.

Ralph

VIP
I might force my Surface to take the upgrade later today... that'll be a good starting point because I have nearly nothing on it - most everything I use it for is cloud based.

I'm one of those unlucky ones that can't get the 'get windows 10' app icon to show. Windows update shows I'm completely up to date, the GW10 troubleshooting app from MS claims I'm missing patch kb2952664. Manually re-installing this patch doesn't help. I've tried a few different methods google told me about, and none of them help.

I've realized that even though I'm a Unix guy not a windows guy, to my family I'm just the computer guy. I figure I better install win10 and get to know it a bit before my father/step-mom/sister/etc. start asking me about it.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
I'm one of those unlucky ones that can't get the 'get windows 10' app icon to show. Windows update shows I'm completely up to date, the GW10 troubleshooting app from MS claims I'm missing patch kb2952664. Manually re-installing this patch doesn't help. I've tried a few different methods google told me about, and none of them help.

I've realized that even though I'm a Unix guy not a windows guy, to my family I'm just the computer guy. I figure I better install win10 and get to know it a bit before my father/step-mom/sister/etc. start asking me about it.
Try this

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Installed Windows 10 on my Dell laptop last night. No isses and it's working fine, first time I can say that about a windows update, ever! Will see how it works out but for now I'm happy with it.

My wifes Dell is updating now, if there is any computer/person who will have trouble it's her. Expect I'll be getting calls today to help fix her broken laptop. :panic:

Installed Windows 10 on my Dell laptop last night. No isses and it's working fine, first time I can say that about a windows update, ever! Will see how it works out but for now I'm happy with it.

My wifes Dell is updating now, if there is any computer/person who will have trouble it's her. Expect I'll be getting calls today to help fix her broken laptop. :panic:
No joke...my wife and my mom have more computer issues than anybody else I know.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium

Ugh, right there with you. I've never met another person that can **** up a computer so well. I think she got cursed by some voodoo nerd when she was younger or something. I won't let her use my laptop at all. It pisses her off sometimes -- "I just need to look at so and so!" "Yeah, last time your computer shit itself you said all you did was 'look at so and so.'"

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
:clapping: Looks like I hit on something here.

Wife messaged me the install went well. This alone is proof positive Microsoft has finally made a woman proof upgrade possible.

Those look like the same thing, perhaps just different tools or pages. Thanks for the links, I'll give this a shot.

I've tried every other option I can find. Various bat files and scripts from MS support forums, uninstall/re-install updates including the one the Get Windows 10 troubleshooting app keeps saying is uninstalled yet windows update and manual install of that package say it's already installed, multiple reboots, etc.

I was hoping to avoid booting/installing from USB, I want to test the same method family members can use without help, but it looks like this may be my only option at this point.

edit: It appears I was mistaken, further reading implies this will allow an in-place upgrade without creating a USB/DVD to boot from.

Last edited:

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
Still having issues with my internet dropping. I have narrowed it down a bit. If I have a website that is fairly heavy on data, say Tumblr, or open several tabs with streaming data like Youtube, it will disable my ethernet card. I can sometimes go in to settings and disable, then re-enable the adapter and it will work again... as long as I stick to one or two tabs.
Windows 10 says my drivers are up to date. I removed the adapter drivers, restarted, same thing.
Adapter is a Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet adapter. Next step is to take the computer down and clean the guts (it is due), re-seat shit, etc... Then see what happens.