• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

XJ, big puddle, engine suttering, CEL flashing.

Taz

SORRY N SHIT!
VIP
Why did you switch out the 242? I don't remember you saying your reason.
242 was hard to get IN & OUT of 4wd, there was nothing wrong w the case, the full time was nice in the rain/light snow, no aftermarket parts, heavier, not as easy to take apart.

Got an older non exposed tail output pre '96 231 from a '95 ZJ, swapped the other '98 249's input gear in to the 231. Even works with the VIC.

Hubjeep

:hub: :hub2:
Ultra-Premium
Put teh new TPS in I had laying around for chits and giggles.

Fawking screws would not come out, so I removed teh throttle body, and had to use the big vice-grips to break them loose (luckily they have tall heads, and they are T-20 Taz, I tried T-25... NG). Fawker had some yellow crap on the threads holding them in.

Then went to change the pressure power steering hose (had that part laying around for about 6 months, lulz... Gates hose for $12 at Rockauto FTW).

Fitting on the top of the PS pump started unscrewing instead of the hose nut, so I cut the line with a bolt cutter, threaded out the fitting, put that in the vise and loosened the hose nut. Had to do the same thing to the pump side, but used a socket, could not get enough leverage with a line wrench and a open-end started stripping.

All good now (knock on wood) at 152,200 miles.

Hubjeep

Ultra-Premium
...indicating TPS (lol $26 shipped ebay). I got a new one, will install later today.
CEL was coming on in the XJunk last summer for TPS.... my interwebs reading led me to decide I wanted Mopar rather than some random one I found on fleebay or Autozone.
That is definitely true, I went through a cheap TPS before I bought a mopar one and never had another issue.
LOL cheap TPS (if it is the cause), but XJ now sometimes has a fluctuating idle and a very touchy (more than I recall) throttle pedal, the slightest tap sends it over 1,000 RPM.

Should I just order a Mopar one? I could put the old one back in and see if the problem stops, there were no clinical signs, just a CEL every once in a while. :shrug:

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
LOL cheap TPS (if it is the cause), but XJ now sometimes has a fluctuating idle and a very touchy (more than I recall) throttle pedal, the slightest tap sends it over 1,000 RPM.

Should I just order a Mopar one? I could put the old one back in and see if the problem stops, there were no clinical signs, just a CEL every once in a while. :shrug:
TPS is so common on 4.0, always follows water. The cheap TPS you put on there sounds like it's as bad as the disease.

I would get the Mopar one, it's still under $100 and you'll have it ruled out. Cap & plugs/wires is always a good bet, anyway.

I used to drive Fords that would freak out if it were raining or even humid. The distributor caps were crap. I hit a puddle on 16th Street by the Speedway in a 3/4 ton van full of newspapers at 3am one morning, the distributor got wet, the 351 backfired and blew the muffler up.

Hubjeep

Ultra-Premium

Hubjeep

Ultra-Premium
I did a quick search and found my local dealer has an online parts store, was only $70, ordered some spark plugs for ma's 2009 4.7L WK too, the upper ones need to be done every 30K miles... yeah, it has 16 plugs, exhaust side ones done every 100K.

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
The Service Engine Soon light came on Tuesday in the 7.3 and it takes a special tester to read the codes (not OBD II) :owned: it still runs great though.

Google showed possibilities of a wiring harness problem or glow plugs. I will have to take it to the local diesel mech a friend referred me to next week.:wtf:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I did a quick search and found my local dealer has an online parts store, was only $70, ordered some spark plugs for ma's 2009 4.7L WK too, the upper ones need to be done every 30K miles... yeah, it has 16 plugs, exhaust side ones done every 100K.
Not bad on the price, do they ship and is shipping reasonable?

Hubjeep

Ultra-Premium
Not bad on the price, do they ship and is shipping reasonable?
They would only ship, said eventually they will offer pickup, some things come from other locations though.

Estimated shipping for the TPS and 8 spark plugs was $13.95.