• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Apparently Macbook Pro's only last 2.5 years

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
My 2012 MBP is getting a GPU Panic when running applications that utilize the video card. Google suggests that it's a hardware problem that a number of people with 10,1 machines have had.

So that's two MBPs I've had with hardware problems (screen on the old one) outside of warranty. Starting to think that Apple equipment isn't reliable and that I should buy Apple Care with the next one because I'm almost at 100% having hardware issues inside of 3 years.

Toney Marconi

Fat, drunk, and stupid
VIP
We have a fleet of over 300 MacBook Pros. One third of the fleet gets replaced every year, so they are used for three years before they are replaced. They get used all day everyday. The users don't "own" them so they they are NOT treated well. Aside from teachers spilling liquids in them, dropping them, or kids pulling off the keys, we may have only one or two hardware problems a year. I can't remember replacing a logic board in over three years :shush:

You guys must be using then wrong :applejump:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Running an Apple Hardware Test now..... or at least I was until it seeming shut off in the middle of the test. Pretty sure that points to a hardware problem. That's fun.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So when the AHT fails, the screen goes black but the computer stays running, gets really hot, and won't respond. If I hold the power button long enough, it'll reboot, but crash before I can log in. Let it sit for a while and I can log back in. I'm 99% sure it's an issue with the discrete video card/logic board. Could be as simple as thermal paste on the heatsink, but I'm betting it needs to be replaced.

Backing it up now (in addition to Time Machine) and am getting ready to wipe it before I take it to the local "Apple Certified Repair Center" to see how badly I'm about to get raped to fix it.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
At least you could get the test to start. My iMac wouldn't get anywhere close to that point.

Ended up being the video card, per the guy that bought it on eBay. Exactly what I thought but I wasn't comfortable replacing that as you have to remove the screen and be very careful of dust/dirt getting on the inside of the glass. No way in this environment for me.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Anecdotal evidence on the Google suggests that a trip to the Apple Genius Bar should net the machine being shipped to an Apple Depot in Texas for a logic board replacement to the tune of $310. Unfortunately, the closest Genius Bars are in Greensboro, NC and Richmond, VA.... both about 2 hours away. The website wouldn't let me request an appointment for today in Richmond, so I'm waiting to go to the local computer repair place tomorrow to see what they say. If they're far off the $310 mark, I'll have to decide if I want to ebay/CL it as-is, suck up the loss, and buy a new machine or make the trip to Richmond in hopes of better results.

There is an outside chance that the problem is due to physical damage, though there is no evidence of said damage on the exterior of the machine. I do carry it around daily (padded case) and it could have been knocked off the couch or bed at some point. If the local place determines that the problem is resulting from physical damage, I may try to make a claim on the insurance policy that I have on the machine w/State Farm. Afterall, that's why I have it listed on a "personal articles policy". Of course, I'd need to verify with my agent that a claim on that isn't going to get me dropped on my other policies.

Last edited:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Just bring the ****ing piece of shit to the Apple Store and tell them to fix it. You're making it sound a lot more difficult than it is.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Just bring the ****ing piece of shit to the Apple Store and tell them to fix it. You're making it sound a lot more difficult than it is.
4 hour round trip on a weekday/work day. Not the easiest thing in the world, especially when they probably have to ship it off and I have to come back to pick it up. 8 hours of driving over two days when I'm typically working.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Your claim with State Farm is going to have a deductible, right? Usually 1% or more of home value?

eBay it and buy new.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Your claim with State Farm is going to have a deductible, right? Usually 1% or more of home value?

eBay it and buy new.
$0 deductible. It's on a separate policy with my wife's rings.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
4 hour round trip on a weekday/work day. Not the easiest thing in the world, especially when they probably have to ship it off and I have to come back to pick it up. 8 hours of driving over two days when I'm typically working.
I couldn't play that game. I'd probably already have another one on the way if I were in your position.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I couldn't play that game. I'd probably already have another one on the way if I were in your position.
That's why I'm taking it to the local place on Monday. Will see what they say, then make the decision. If it were a $1k laptop, it would already be on the way. At closer to $3k with Apple Care, it's another story. That's a big hit to take in December, even if it is a tax write-off.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Yes, yes it is. An unnecessarily big hit, though. I'd have something that isn't a MBP on the way. NO laptop should cost $3k these days, especially one with a historically bad reliability record :paper: Windows Ultrabooks are as fast or faster than MBP, have touchscreens, and can be had for under $1500 (WAY under in some instances.)

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Ship them the POS then.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Anecdotal evidence on the Google suggests that a trip to the Apple Genius Bar should net the machine being shipped to an Apple Depot in Texas for a logic board replacement to the tune of $310. Unfortunately, the closest Genius Bars are in Greensboro, NC and Richmond, VA.... both about 2 hours away. The website wouldn't let me request an appointment for today in Richmond, so I'm waiting to go to the local computer repair place tomorrow to see what they say. If they're far off the $310 mark, I'll have to decide if I want to ebay/CL it as-is, suck up the loss, and buy a new machine or make the trip to Richmond in hopes of better results.
I'll give you $50 for it. :jump:

I'd certainly be pissed if a 3k laptop were shitting the bed, especially if for that money they aren't coming to ME to check it out.

Business class workstation/laptop, business class service. :agree:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Yes, yes it is. An unnecessarily big hit, though. I'd have something that isn't a MBP on the way. NO laptop should cost $3k these days, especially one with a historically bad reliability record :paper: Windows Ultrabooks are as fast or faster than MBP, have touchscreens, and can be had for under $1500 (WAY under in some instances.)
I've yet to find a Windows ultrabook that comes close to performance, display, and battery life. That's what I'm paying for. The Razor Blade looks close, but it's a 14" and costs more than the MBP with similar storage but doesn't offer a 1tb option and the battery life is rated a solid 2-3 hours lower.

Ship them the POS then.
Find me a way to RMA it to someone for repair and I will.

I'll give you $50 for it. :jump:

I'd certainly be pissed if a 3k laptop were shitting the bed, especially if for that money they aren't coming to ME to check it out.

Business class workstation/laptop, business class service. :agree:
Apple's service is the fawking worst, IMO. I'd be fine with a mail-in repair service but that doesn't appear to be an option.