• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Apparently Macbook Pro's only last 2.5 years

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That's impressive, really. I'd call him myself, but it's already with the local technician.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Came in about $430. Have it plugged into wired gigabit ethernet to do a Time Machine restore. Will see how that works... I've used it to restore files before, but never the entire system. Current estimated time to completion is over 5 hours and rising..... :wtf:

I think I was using ~400gb of space.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Restore done in right about 3 hours. I really do like Apple's backup/restore functionality. Really destroys the built in Windows backup functionality. Basically everything is back like it was before I wiped it. I just had to tweak a couple settings.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Like I said, talking out your ass about things you have no experience at all with. :jump:
Yes, you are talking out of your ass about things you have no experience at all with.

Time Machine > Windows System Image on many levels

1. Incremental backups with file revisions
2. Built in support for restoring entire system from NAS (Time Capsule)
3. Can actually handle restoring to a different system
4. Can actually handle image with multiple drives

Oh... and my favorite part. It actually works when you need it. I've had multiple situations where the Windows system image was basically not usable.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Yes, you are talking out of your ass about things you have no experience at all with.

Time Machine > Windows System Image on many levels

1. Incremental backups with file revisions
2. Built in support for restoring entire system from NAS (Time Capsule)
3. Can actually handle restoring to a different system
4. Can actually handle image with multiple drives

Oh... and my favorite part. It actually works when you need it. I've had multiple situations where the Windows system image was basically not usable.
It is a very good thing that your employer has you in programming instead of supporting Windows servers and workstations. :clapping:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Has nothing to do with figuring anything out. I use both and Time Machine beats Windows Backup hands down. The way Time Machine does incremental backups beats the way Windows handles them both in terms of managing space and in terms of browsing the files. Likewise the ability to restore the entire system (even to a new system) over the network is better than the Windows capabilities if for no other reason than not even needing a disk or USB boot drive to accomplish it.

edit: Another win for Apple is the ability to restore individual applications from the backup. That's a combination of the incremental backup capabilities and the OS design.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Pot meet Kettle.. :jump:
What you both fail to grasp is that nowhere in this thread did I say or imply that OSX's backup and restore capabilities sucked. That's just your Apple fanboy kneejerk kicking in.

Will stated that he was thrilled with how the backup restore went on his Mac and then implied that the same capability was nonexistent on Windows. I was just correcting that flat out wrong assertion.

I fully agree that the Time Machine features and options are superior to the stock Windows capabilities. :shrug:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I did not imply that the same capability was nonexistent on Windows, in fact I clearly referenced the Windows capability when I stated that it [Time Machine] destroys the built in Windows backup functionality.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
I did not imply that the same capability was nonexistent on Windows, in fact I clearly referenced the Windows capability when I stated that it [Time Machine] destroys the built in Windows backup functionality.
by "capability" I mean "restoring from a backup image just the way you had it before"