• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Apparently Macbook Pro's only last 2.5 years

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Wiped and reinstalling OSX. Not leaving it with a tech or shipping it off with data on it.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Can't buy Apple Care after the fact. Had to be done while under warranty.

Damn thing kept locking up and restarting while trying to reinstall the OS after I wiped it. Had to fire it up and stick it on the freezer while it did its thing to get past the loop I was stuck in.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I thought you mentioned you had apple care already, my mistake.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I've yet to find a Windows ultrabook that comes close to performance, display, and battery life. That's what I'm paying for. The Razor Blade looks close, but it's a 14" and costs more than the MBP with similar storage but doesn't offer a 1tb option and the battery life is rated a solid 2-3 hours lower.

Find me a way to RMA it to someone for repair and I will.

Apple's service is the fawking worst, IMO. I'd be fine with a mail-in repair service but that doesn't appear to be an option.
That sucks. My ultra book is small (intentionally - 11.4") but is a core i7, 8gb ram, runs 6hrs (12 with piggyback battery) and was only $1200. Doesn't have 1tb of drive space but big whoop when a 3tb external can be had for $100 these days.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That sucks. My ultra book is small (intentionally - 11.4") but is a core i7, 8gb ram, runs 6hrs (12 with piggyback battery) and was only $1200. Doesn't have 1tb of drive space but big whoop when a 3tb external can be had for $100 these days.
This machine is a 2.6ghz quad core i7 (Ivy Bridge), 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, 802.11ac, and still gets an honest 5.5-6 hours on battery after 2.5 years and 471 load cycles (operating at 85-88% of original capacity).

I run VMs on this machine for development. I use it for work & demos in meetings and appreciate the ability to do my work without lugging around power cords or USB stuff. Can't be beat for overall performance in my use-case. I'd consider a 14" Razor Blade, but I don't want to lose screen real estate, nor do I want a 17" machine because I do need to carry it around.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That's why I'm taking it to the local place on Monday. Will see what they say, then make the decision. If it were a $1k laptop, it would already be on the way. At closer to $3k with Apple Care, it's another story. That's a big hit to take in December, even if it is a tax write-off.
AHA! :pirate:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
This machine is a 2.6ghz quad core i7 (Ivy Bridge), 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, 802.11ac, and still gets an honest 5.5-6 hours on battery after 2.5 years and 471 load cycles (operating at 85-88% of original capacity).

I run VMs on this machine for development. I use it for work & demos in meetings and appreciate the ability to do my work without lugging around power cords or USB stuff. Can't be beat for overall performance in my use-case. I'd consider a 14" Razor Blade, but I don't want to lose screen real estate, nor do I want a 17" machine because I do need to carry it around.
That's a ****ing hoss, especially at 2.5 years old.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That's a ****ing hoss, especially at 2.5 years old.
It is. I forgot to mention that it has a GeForce GT 650M video card and a display that runs at 2880x1800. Unfortunately, I think it's the video card that is the weak link here.

If I replace it with another MBP, it'll be another quad i7, but this time it's Haswell running at 2.5ghz with 1tb SSD and a GeForce GT 750M (2gb). I doubt I'd cough up the extra $180 for the 2.8ghz proc.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Dropped off at the repair shop this morning. They ran their proprietary Apple Service Tools against it and found no problems. That *might* be a good sign. Would indicate, to me, that the issue isn't the logic board and probably is related to the heat sink. Will see what the technician says when he looks at it. Will probably be a day or two.

Fixed or not, I expect I'll be putting it on CL/ebay anyway and buying a new one with extended warranty.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I called our local Apple Store in Boise, claiming to live in McCall and know absolutely nothing about computers or Apple, about this. They would pay for the shipping to get it from McCall to their store and/or to a repair center and back to me and retroactive Apple Care for an additional $40 to cover the issue. Total out of pocket NTE $100.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I called our local Apple Store in Boise, claiming to live in McCall and know absolutely nothing about computers or Apple, about this. They would pay for the shipping to get it from McCall to their store and/or to a repair center and back to me and retroactive Apple Care for an additional $40 to cover the issue. Total out of pocket NTE $100.
Huh? I couldn't even get through to someone at the Apple Store regarding service. Said I had to do it online which wouldn't let me talk to someone without paying $29 just to ask about shipping and couldn't get me an in-person appointment until today.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I asked to speak to the manager. I've dealt with him three times before, none regarding service. He immediately offered assistance and the Apple Care retroactive deal after I explained how remote I was and unknowledgeable I was regarding the Apple product service deal.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I asked to speak to the manager. I've dealt with him three times before, none regarding service. He immediately offered assistance and the Apple Care retroactive deal after I explained how remote I was and unknowledgeable I was regarding the Apple product service deal.
You told him you had a MBP with a hardware problem 1.5 years out of warranty and he offered to sell you Apple Care and fix it under Apple Care?

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
You told him you had a MBP with a hardware problem 1.5 years out of warranty and he offered to sell you Apple Care and fix it under Apple Care?
No. I told him it was out of warranty, but I'm disappointed because it's much newer than my sister's gen 1 Intel MBP and it has already shit the bed while hers is running strong. I asked if their newer stuff wasn't as good as the older. I asked if this was a common issue. I told him I was now concerned about our newer Apple devices as well, all of which were purchased from his store.