• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Cell Phone

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I personally wouldn't buy a S5 right now. If you're in the market and are OS agnostic, then iPhone is the obvious choice. Mainly because it's new and you won't be wishing you held out for the next one coming right around the corner. S5 has been out for a while now and is "old news".

Personally, I'm holding out for the S6 running the new version of Android in 2015Q1.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I got to thinking about why Android is better than iPhone and all the shit I came up with was useless to me. I still agree Android is better, but I don't customize crap and ran stock roms.
And if it "just works" I'll be happy.
Nothing wrong with that line of thinking. I tell most people to go with the iPhone when they ask. It's nice to buy and use something that just works :tiphat:

The Windows phones "just work" even better, but so many folks don't make apps for them you end up limited very frequently.

I don't dislike Apple by any means, I just find it funny that they "introduce" features that Android devices have had for a long time.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The iphone6 battery is finally damn good. I've been off the charger since 6am, used it all day at work, watched a show on Netflix at the gym, made calls at home while walking the dogs, and it's at 71% right now.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
The iphone6 battery is finally damn good. I've been off the charger since 6am, used it all day at work, watched a show on Netflix at the gym, made calls at home while walking the dogs, and it's at 71% right now.
That's outstanding. I haven't had that kind of battery life in a long time. I'm looking to move to a Note 3/4 soon so I can have 24hr+ battery life again.

John

Transplant
VIP
They changed something with the batteries recently. Even the wife's 5C (bought in July) has great battery life. She uses it all day for work and comes home and goes on social media and Netflix and still has 50-60% battery life when she goes to bed around 11.

I've been using my phone a lot today, but I'm at 2% right now.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
I got to thinking about why Android is better than iPhone and all the shit I came up with was useless to me. I still agree Android is better, but I don't customize crap and ran stock roms.

Seriously, take a look at the Moto X. It is the only phone on the market that's actually offering something different and useful.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
I think the bug they plant in phones to force them to self destruct after a certain number of years has finally gone off. My Samsung S2 has been doing this reboot thing every 5 minutes for a few days now :(

I'm thinking HTC or LG for my replacement.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Seriously, take a look at the Moto X. It is the only phone on the market that's actually offering something different and useful.
Like what? A locked bootloader, VZW bloatware, and a slow release cycle on OS updates?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I think the bug they plant in phones to force them to self destruct after a certain number of years has finally gone off. My Samsung S2 has been doing this reboot thing every 5 minutes for a few days now :(

I'm thinking HTC or LG for my replacement.
As much as I hate to think they'd do that, I think it could be true. Less than a month after the GS5 hits the streets and I get a mandatory OS update that is nothing but differently-colored status icons and a couple of camera features and it somehow cuts my battery life down to 40% of what it was the day before. **** that. My problem is that we're on a corporate plan and I don't get nearly as many device choices unless I want to pay out of pocket.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
As much as I hate to think they'd do that, I think it could be true. Less than a month after the GS5 hits the streets and I get a mandatory OS update that is nothing but differently-colored status icons and a couple of camera features and it somehow cuts my battery life down to 40% of what it was the day before. **** that. My problem is that we're on a corporate plan and I don't get nearly as many device choices unless I want to pay out of pocket.
Yeah I don't comprehend how one day it works just fine, but the next it has tourettes