• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

House Plans

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
We haven't settled on a plan yet. Have a few that we've looked at that we like, but nothing definitive.

This is our criteria:

* 2000-2400 sq-ft
* 3br, 2.5ba
* Bonus room or office
* Main level master
* Open concept, to an extent. No desire for a formal living room or dining room.
* Well appointed master ensuite
* Decent sized front porch
* Brick or stone exterior, possibly mix of siding and brick/stone
* 2-3 car attached garage
* Basement
* Screened rear porch/deck
* 1, 1.5, or 2 story
* No split-level or split foyer layouts

This is one we kicked around a bit. I really like the layout and the mud/coat room. Not crazy about the exterior finish on the pictured build.

Plan W16860WG Mountain, Luxury, Craftsman, Cottage, Northwest House Plans Home Designs

I like it, but all the bumpouts and complicated roof lines will make that extremely expensive to build. But if you are going to live there for a long time, go for it.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
wiring/piping in the utility area looks DIY and out of place with the rest of their finishing. Makes me wonder what they just covered over under all the spackle and paint.

And I would have thought a garage would be almost mandatory up there.
It is interesting that there is no coax or phone jacks anywhere in the house. We have a call into the contractor (via the real estate agent) to figure out why. Other than that, I thought the wiring looked fine. The panel is new.

Garages are a luxury in the DC area.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I like it, but all the bumpouts and complicated roof lines will make that extremely expensive to build. But if you are going to live there for a long time, go for it.
My first thought as well. The builder I talked to has a guy that can draw up custom plans from something like this. I'd probably look to simplify the lines a bit to cut down on costs. Square it up and remove needless bumpouts.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
$650k minimum
:withstupid:

Lowest bids we got to build were all above $185/ft2. Worst was a green builder who wanted $225/ft2+ for SIPs. :eek:

Don't know how the production builders are selling spec houses for $110/ft2 including the land. Just know I wouldn't want to look behind the drywall to see how well they're built for that much of a difference.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
My sister bought plans for this house, she wanted to build on my mom's property. 1700 sq feet and the first bid she got was nearly $300k, and did not include any landscaping, driveway, or anything else external. The next was close to the same.

Plan W16807WG Mountain, Narrow Lot, Cottage, Vacation, Corner Lot, European House Plans Home Designs
That's basically the mirror image of the plan I linked. I haven't heard back from the builder I talked to in regards to the plan I linked, but he did say that for ~2k sq-ft with basement, garage, and the level of trim we discussed that I should budget for about $300k.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That's basically the mirror image of the plan I linked. I haven't heard back from the builder I talked to in regards to the plan I linked, but he did say that for ~2k sq-ft with basement, garage, and the level of trim we discussed that I should budget for about $300k.
I'd be shocked beyond belief if that comes in around $300k.

The first builder told my sister that it would be close to $200k to build the house, so she bought the plans. Then he bid it, and almost $300k. Assholes. I think they just make shit up. Your plan is bigger and nicer, and adding a basement...Im betting you end up with a quote between $375k and $450k, depending on exactly what they put in for landscaping, driveways, etc.

I'd be shocked beyond belief if that comes in around $300k.
x2.