• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

House Plans

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Two houses on my street are getting that treatment. 1960's ranch'ers on the lake. Both of them are getting massive additions in the form of a "snout" garage, second stories, and also adding on to the back. The are basically taking turning the rancher into a "T" with the original house being the "l".
Haven't heard the term "snouthouse" in a while. :jump:

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Can you find a piece of land with a ranch or something smaller than you want for cheap? Buy that and then add on or pop the roof and add a second story.
Popping the roof is often more expensive than bulldozing and starting fresh. We looked to do that on our old house and the numbers were absolutely stupid.

Popping the roof is often more expensive than bulldozing and starting fresh. We looked to do that on our old house and the numbers were absolutely stupid.
Only reason to do it is if you have a mortgage on the house. Banks dont like it when you bulldoze the collateral, so retaining at least a portion of the existing structure is a requirement. A few years ago, a house near us was entirely torn down except for one bedroom and one bathroom, and an entirely new house was built around it.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Only reason to do it is if you have a mortgage on the house. Banks dont like it when you bulldoze the collateral, so retaining at least a portion of the existing structure is a requirement. A few years ago, a house near us was entirely torn down except for one bedroom and one bathroom, and an entirely new house was built around it.
Lakefront lots started out here in the 70s as weekend getaway spots and many had mobile homes or small A frames. Now that people are moving here fulltime and lots are scarce, there's quite a few people paying $75K for a singlewide on the lake and then ditching the trailer and building a $300-400K house in it's place. Makes for a real interesting neighborhood seeing these side by side. :rotflmao: