• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

House Plans

Justin

Damn.
VIP
I'm not really used to having a basement on a flat lot. My area is rolling foothills so most of the basements I see are walkout. That said, I could see a lot of value in having a finished area in a basement like that which would make it relatively easy to black out all light.
:wifey: demanded a tornado shelter since she is scared of all thunderstorms

No sunlight coming in really helps the plasma TV down there as well. :agree:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
One feature that you don't see much anymore is multiple staircases (front/rear) to access the second floor. I can't find a single plan in the book I have at home with that feature.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
One feature that you don't see much anymore is multiple staircases (front/rear) to access the second floor. I can't find a single plan in the book I have at home with that feature.
I believe those were more common when house servants were also more common.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
That would be bad ass, my parents second home has that but the stairwell is framed in, would be cool to see what that looks like these days. The house is from 1859. :eek:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
That would be bad ass, my parents second home has that but the stairwell is framed in, would be cool to see what that looks like these days. The house is from 1859. :eek:
A non-scale pass at a first floor layout like this without dimensions:

Basic concept is main floor master, open format, with the master in the right rear and a pair of staircases at opposite corners of the house.

Relatively square for cost and heating/cooling efficiency.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I don't think you're going to see a second staircase on any plans in the size of home you've mentioned. I've seen them on floor plans for larger ones, but not sub-3k sq ft

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
A non-scale pass at a first floor layout like this without dimensions:

Basic concept is main floor master, open format, with the master in the right rear and a pair of staircases at opposite corners of the house.

Relatively square for cost and heating/cooling efficiency.
I like that, really do. Will there be a basement?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I don't think you're going to see a second staircase on any plans in the size of home you've mentioned. I've seen them on floor plans for larger ones, but not sub-3k sq ft
I don't see them on any modern plans, at all. Seems to me that it would be a popular safety and convenience feature. I like having a second egress in case of an emergency or something blocking the main staircase.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I like that, really do. Will there be a basement?
I would want a basement. Would probably have to rearrange the back left staircase and 1/2 bath to allow the basement stairs to go under that one.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I would want a basement. Would probably have to rearrange the back left staircase and 1/2 bath to allow the basement stairs to go under that one.
If I ever built a house it would have a walk out feature in the basement as well.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So if this is the first floor:

...this would be the first pass at the second floor:

Very basic first sketch. The only real thought that I put into the second floor was stacking water/sewer stuff above existing stuff on the first floor. I also figure that if it's pretty big on the second floor that a second floor den above the family room could work so that you're not putting a bedroom right above the noisy family / TV area.

The issue is, however, that this looks like a lot more finished area than I'm wanting. Granted it's not to scale and I don't have even ballpark dimensions to work with, but I think that by having a full sized second floor (best bang for the buck according to my builder) with a main floor master that you really end up with a lot of space. Granted I think the kitchen and family room are skewed way bigger than they should be compared to the master bedroom, but still.

That would net this sketch as a 4br 3.5ba two story with closer to 3k sq-ft I think. Really would need to put more thought and dimensions into it. Could possibly leave the bed/bath above the master suite as unfinished storage with rough-in for bath stuff.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
If you're really serious about doing your own design I know a guy that did exactly that - basically drew out a sketch and worked with an architect to make a real set of plans to have built. He's also very similar in mindset to us regarding lots of the details you'll probably want. He'd probably be glad to talk to you about it and share his build photos and stuff.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
spend some time on Houzz just looking at different rooms to get an idea for dimensions that you'd like to end up with. When we started with our architect, we had simple sketches and lots of pictures of features we wanted to emulate. He then spent a full day just walking over the land and seeing how the sun and breezes would work, and only then started working on a plan that would best suit the site. A good design needs to factor all these things into everything from heat/cooling to lighting.

The guy who designed our current place did an awesome job of this. The extended porches shade the bulk of the house from late afternoon sun, and optimal window placement means I can use any room in the place during the day and never have to turn on a light. Also by shifting the house 15' to one side of what most would consider the natural location to place it on the lot, he cut site prep costs in half and those can add up very quickly on a sloping lot.

These guys are pros for a reason. Even if you use someone else to actually build it, paying several grand to an architect to develop the plans will pay off in the long run.

These guys are pros for a reason. Even if you use someone else to actually build it, paying several grand to an architect to develop the plans will pay off in the long run.
Yes. Do not use a builder to custom design a home. Architects design homes. Builders build them.

My dad drew his plans on a sheet of copy paper and started building. He also did it himself. I would not recommend that strategy.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
This builder has an arrangement with someone that does that work. He doesn't do design work himself. Only weighs in on cost/expense factors as part of the design.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Here's a couple of shots of the plans we had drawn up. It was very much custom to our lifestyle and took about zero consideration of resale value

Last edited: