• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

House Plans

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
No, the stained concrete floor in half the house was at my last place. The current place has carpet and tile, and a finished basement.
Spec house or custom from a plan you provided? A lot has to do with regional variations. ~$100/sq-ft is not unheard of in my area.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Spec house or custom from a plan you provided? A lot has to do with regional variations. ~$100/sq-ft is not unheard of in my area.
Spec plan that we made several adjustments to including the basement. Obviously a custom plan and nicer finishes will increase the cost greatly.

Wow, I'm not sure if I should be really happy or really scared of the $90/sqft our build ran. :flee:
There is a huge difference in building prices from a subdivision to a house on a farm in the country. In a subdivision, the builder can keep costs lower, knowing that as soon as he is done with yours, he moves 100' away to your neighbor. He keeps the subs running, and it is almost like a conveyor belt. But go 20 miles out and build on a farm, and prices jump instantly.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
There is a huge difference in building prices from a subdivision to a house on a farm in the country. In a subdivision, the builder can keep costs lower, knowing that as soon as he is done with yours, he moves 100' away to your neighbor. He keeps the subs running, and it is almost like a conveyor belt. But go 20 miles out and build on a farm, and prices jump instantly.
There is that too.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
I still need to post a pic of the basement as I recall Steve and/or Leon doesn't believe that I had one dug. :jump:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
In my case, the builder I've been in contact with does not build much in the way of spec homes, does not build a large number of homes at once, and thus is typically very involved with each of his builds. That is likely why his costs are on the higher end compared to other builders I'm aware of in the area.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
In my case, the builder I've been in contact with does not build much in the way of spec homes, does not build a large number of homes at once, and thus is typically very involved with each of his builds. That is likely why his costs are on the higher end compared to other builders I'm aware of in the area.
That rightly should increase the cost, I just hope that you also get the increase in quality that is expected.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
My nephew is a production manager for one of the large national builders and at any one time might have 25 - 30 houses in construction that he's overseeing. The subs move from one to the next; and in many cases aren't really subs, but independent contractors who work solely for that builder. He'slucky if he can get by each house once per week, so often has no clue about the quality behind the walls. Its all about schedule and finish.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
My nephew is a production manager for one of the large national builders and at any one time might have 25 - 30 houses in construction that he's overseeing. The subs move from one to the next; and in many cases aren't really subs, but independent contractors who work solely for that builder. He'slucky if he can get by each house once per week, so often has no clue about the quality behind the walls. Its all about schedule and finish.
At least with both of the houses I have had built, I got to see what was going on through the build and could point out the obvious ****ups.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That looks small (I know you're used to hearing that...) :pirate:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The more I look at plans and talk to my builder, the more I want to sketch my own and have his guy draw them up.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
AINT THAT TEH TRUFF

It measures 22' x 17'8" measured from the outside of the blocks. 9' finished ceiling as well.
Did that ladder come with it to use for entry?

Do you not have a window or anything to the outside world down there?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Who the **** wants a window underground?
I'm not really used to having a basement on a flat lot. My area is rolling foothills so most of the basements I see are walkout. That said, I could see a lot of value in having a finished area in a basement like that which would make it relatively easy to black out all light.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Did that ladder come with it to use for entry?
Nah, I upgraded to an aluminum extension ladder for only $2K!

Do you not have a window or anything to the outside world down there?
No, basement is entirely capped by the slab of the house. Ethernet intratubes connection is how I access the outside world from down there!! :pirate: