• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What is the most cost effective TJ V8 swap?

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Everyone is going to say LSx.

My dad keeps trying to get me to put an AMC 360 in my Wrangler but without FI I think it would be an enormous step backwards.

I'd probably find a Ram or Dakota with a 5.9 and use it for the donor. BUT if I swap something into my Grand Wagoneer it'll likely be a LSx.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Curious. No imminent plans. I'm thinking I'd have to find a stellar low mileage complete LSx engine and wiring harness to even consider it.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
FI would be. Must for me. Zero desire for a carb.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I meant Ram or Durango donor. Not a lot of 5.9 Dakotas.

Hemi would be okay but they are still overpriced.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
My 87 Wrangler has an AMC 360. Yes, it's carbureted, gets horrible gas mileage, and needs tuning. There are FI kits for this motor.

The swap was soooo easy. Almost everything is plug-n-play. The major exception is mounts. You have to purchase or fabricate and weld in place of the existing ones. But: The transmission bolts up. The alternator plugs in. The power steering swaps over. The firewall mounted parts clear the engine. The steering shaft clears. The ignition plugs in. Fuel lines are in the right place. Power is very, very adequate after a rebuild with better cam and porting, etc. The radiator probably should be replaced with something with more cooling capacity. It is very possible to run into the infamous AMC distributor/oil pump drive gear gremlin.

Is it old tech? Absolutely. But so is an 87 Wrangler. And so am I.
:oldman:

Last edited:

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
And 360's were common in '87 J trucks and Wagoneers. Makes sense for an '87 Wrangler.

Really the only positive things about a 360 into my TJ were: we have an extra 360, and it bolts up to the existing transmission. Beyond that, not much going for it. I still have emissions tests here for another 10 years. I could register it at my dad's but that's another pain in the ass.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
And 360's were common in '87 J trucks and Wagoneers. Makes sense for an '87 Wrangler.

Really the only positive things about a 360 into my TJ were: we have an extra 360, and it bolts up to the existing transmission. Beyond that, not much going for it. I still have emissions tests here for another 10 years. I could register it at my dad's but that's another pain in the ass.
Emissions testing would pretty much kill that idea.
:beerchug: