• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What is the most cost effective TJ V8 swap?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
LS is the go-to for good reason. Good power and reliability, stand-alone engine management, adapters galore for any given application. It's really a no-brainer.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
It's true, even though it's a running joke around here. That series of engines has been in shitloads of vehicles since 1995, so there are plenty to be had. Plus it's one of the only modern engines that you can put in a stand and crank thanks to its stand-alone engine computer shit. Since those few things made it popular, people and companies started making mounts and adapters and shit so at this point you can put one in damn near anything that exists if it will fit. Plus they aren't very big (physical dimensions) or heavy. Even a truck 5.3 is lighter than that 4L I6, shorter front-to-back, and only fractionally wider. They just plain make sense.

Unfortunately you're opening Pandora's box at that point, though. The monstrously awesomeness of the 4L blew up the D35 so you swapped in an 8.8 -- adding well over 100hp/100tq will find plenty more weak points unless you baby it.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
It's true, even though it's a running joke around here. That series of engines has been in shitloads of vehicles since 1995, so there are plenty to be had. Plus it's one of the only modern engines that you can put in a stand and crank thanks to its stand-alone engine computer shit. Since those few things made it popular, people and companies started making mounts and adapters and shit so at this point you can put one in damn near anything that exists if it will fit. Plus they aren't very big (physical dimensions) or heavy. Even a truck 5.3 is lighter than that 4L I6, shorter front-to-back, and only fractionally wider. They just plain make sense.

Unfortunately you're opening Pandora's box at that point, though. The monstrously awesomeness of the 4L blew up the D35 so you swapped in an 8.8 -- adding well over 100hp/100tq will find plenty more weak points unless you baby it.
4.0 is the only number I know.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP

I've wondered (but never to the point of research) about stuffing one under the hood of my XJ. As in, could I maintain cruise and all the other stuff that goes with a modern vehicle.

Beyond not being a cost worthy project however and about as likely to happen as my going ot buy a new CTD paying cash.

As in never. :agree:

But still, an LS would probably the XJ 100% more drivable.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
318 or 360 with 44RE or 46RE. Donor Dakota, Durango, Ram. Compatible with gauges. Nearly plug and play...

Gobs of low end torque - plenty for any Jeep activities.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm reading that the LS in a TJ is both lighter and more fuel efficient. Seems like a win-win. A proper TJ engine rebuild will probably cost over $2k. I'm betting I can get a LS for much less. Adapters may put the cost over, but probably is worth it.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
The mechanic down the street from me calls LS motors "throw away motors". It's not because they're junk, it's because of the huge aftermarket and how inexpensive readily available refurbished motors are. He'll pull a higher mileage LS out if there's something wrong with it that requires more extensive repair and will toss a refurbished one in for less than fixing the old one. He has a pile of LS engines at his shop. Each one is tagged denoting what's wrong with it. When he's bored, he tears them apart and builds a couple of good motors out of them. I asked him if that's a common practice and he believes it is - "I think so, I don't know why it wouldn't be." He recently installed a franken-LS in a Hudson. You could probably find a franken-LS like that on the cheap. Or just buy a refurbished one. They're pretty cheap too.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Big dismantler out of Knoxville, TN sells 5.3 complete drop outs for $750.

GM puts over a million out on the streets every year. The motors are the best parts of their vehicles.

Last edited:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
The car falls apart around the drivetrain. That's why there are so many LS Motors out there. If I retire early I will LS swap a Cherokee and have the 4.0 placed in a display cabinet in my garage.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I have a friend (my builder's son) that builds engines from junkyard internals for a local yard that rebuilds and sells salvaged vehicles.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So I'm pretty much convinced that I need either a LQ4 or LQ9 engine for the TJ. 300-345hp should make for good times in the TJ. As soon as I have a shop built, I'm going to start looking for one. If I can find one with under 80k miles, I'll just pull the pan for a visual inspection and re-seal any leaks. If over 80k, I'll do a closer inspection, replace rod bearings and rings and do a valve job.