• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What is the most cost effective TJ V8 swap?

that's the torque curve of an overhead cam motor. I like the pushrod motor for its flat torque curve instead.
OHV vs OHC itself isn't what's making a noticeable difference in the torque curve. If you have two identical displacement engines, same bore and stroke, with the same intake runner and head port design (as similar as can be with OHC vs OHV) the power deliver would be the same. The differences would be in size and cost, both larger for the OHC.

What you see with the F150 is a small displacement engine that was setup to make up for lack of size with rpm. But its relatively small displacement doesn't make it a high rpm screamer. I think the 4.6 also suffered as it was tasked to handle the car and truck lines. Most OHC engines are softer on the bottom end and pick up steam as they move toward redline. The whole point of OHC is a valve train that can handle high rpm. A truck doesn't need high rpm, so an OHV with larger displacement but same external dimensions is best fit. GM got that down pat.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
cool story bro

one is flat, one is not. What would I know. I've only put at least a quarter million miles on both motors :mrwave:

You are smarter than that Brock - I didn't say you were wrong, I said the differences are due to aspects other than just OHV vs OHC. There are DOHC Honda engines that vary by only 25#/ft from 3000rpm thru nearly 11k rpm.

You can build a flat torque OHC engine, the OHC design doesn't prohibit a flat torque curve.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'm not building shit. Neither are you. Hypothetical possibilities dont really matter when we're talking about bone stock trucks. I have never owned a honda and never will. In my experience, the ford was a better built truck, while the GM had the better motor because I prefer the flat torque curve.

Agreed all around, especially on me not building shit. I certainly am not, I was generalizing. The new GM v6's have flat torque curves. I believe the pentastar is quite flat too.

Reality is GM knocked it of of the park with the ls based engines and no ones caught up yet. Ford always made the nicest truck but the engines left consumers wanting more.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
The Shelby F150 at Kendall is impressive. They got 2 out of 500 here and sold one in a day. The uglier one sold immediately.

If I have to leave for an extended period of time and roll there in the SD, I'm trading :wifey:'s Explorer in on a new F150 super crew and max towing package. I plan on staying V8 so I don't pay SD money on a halfie. All this to pull the friggin horse trailer comfortably. :naw:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Harness would come with the engine. Dunno about programming.
you'd need to either modify or have the harness modified. I'm inclined to do the latter. Both modification and reprogramming PCM comes to almost a grand in themselves. Playing on Novak's site yielded price of about $3000 plus the cost of engine, transmission, & driveshaft modification. Mind you, this was for XJ but I expect costs similar for TJ.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
you'd need to either modify or have the harness modified. I'm inclined to do the latter. Both modification and reprogramming PCM comes to almost a grand in themselves. Playing on Novak's site yielded price of about $3000 plus the cost of engine, transmission, & driveshaft modification. Mind you, this was for XJ but I expect costs similar for TJ.
My reading of it is that the PCM and harness basically work independently. I'd only have to do minor wiring and buy a CPS emulator/adapter to feed the GM engine's details into the TJ's PCM.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Are you including harness and PCM programming in that number?
Harness would come with the engine. Dunno about programming.
My reading of it is that the PCM and harness basically work independently. I'd only have to do minor wiring and buy a CPS emulator/adapter to feed the GM engine's details into the TJ's PCM.
It is all one self contained unit (complete harness and PCM) under the hood. For $400,they cut your harness down to requrie 3 wires to hookup to run. or will program your PCM for $150 if you cut your harness down yourself. You have to have the PCM reprogrammed

GM PCM Tunes - $150 for life - Pirate4x4.Com 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

I posted this earlier. This is the expert on pirate that is the one answering every question in the LS swap thread. he does the program, his partner does the harness and they are doing it fulltime now. :bunnydance:

You can get a completely new harness and with reprogrammed computer for about $650

Last edited:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I wonder if their harness would support the XJ's factory speedo and tach etc. All are computer controlled.