• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What is the most cost effective TJ V8 swap?

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
You won't need rod bearings, rings, and valve jobs unless the mileage is way greater than that. The L33 is the all aluminum version but cost more, still, the 5.3 iron version is lighter than the 4.0

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Any reason to pick a 5.3 over the 6.0? From what I read, the blocks are all the same with the bore being the only difference. Probably go iron over the aluminum for the money. Still like 50lbs under the 4.0.

Figure with a 6L engine I'll not likely be wanting for more power.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
One of the engines I saw on CL has 272k. That would need a full rebuild to be worth swapping in. Maybe the magic number should be 130k. Under = seals, over = budget rebuild.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Any reason to pick a 5.3 over the 6.0? From what I read, the blocks are all the same with the bore being the only difference. Probably go iron over the aluminum for the money. Still like 50lbs under the 4.0.

Figure with a 6L engine I'll not likely be wanting for more power.
The 6l is twice the price

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
You can bump the HP in a stock 5.3 up to 350hp with a tuned ECM, which has to be programmed anyway to remove the VATS to run. The LS motors are detuned with torque management software from the factory that can be cut out. The 6.0s are sought after because they can create 500 hp with head and cam swaps. Send the ecm and harness to 150tunes and have them reprogram it and cut the harness down to 4 connections for $400.

GM PCM Tunes - $150 for life - Pirate4x4.Com 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
At least for my CJ, I'd gravitate to one that had a mechanical throttle so have a chance to add cruise. Not essential for everybody but I find it very helpful in preventing pain in my ankle. Old age and such.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Or this. HubJeep has the 4BT in his CJ/YJ Frankenstein. This is much better than the Nissan he had.
I wouldn't mind doing that to mine... But 5.3 is far more cost effective. A decent 4BT seems to go for over 3k and that's without the proper adapters.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
It's a little Jeep. The 5.3 will make that thing a screamer.

I have a mildly modded Ramjet 350 in my YJ and it's ****ing ridiculously powerful for that Jeep. Like front end off the ground if you don't break anything romping on it powerful. First time I got after it, the yolk flew off. Second time the springs self destructed. After handling those minor issues it's ridiculous. I go easy on it so I don't explode gears and axles. Honestly, I wish I stayed with the I6.

ccsp

Hello internet
VIP
Here is a good writeup I found on this:

1. Throw 300,000 mile TJ in junkyard
2. Go to dealer and get adult vehicle with V8.

:jump:

But just wondering... how about the Jeep 4.7 or 4.7HO from WJ or WK? Never understood why they quit making that motor. I really liked it!