• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What is the most cost effective TJ V8 swap?

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Here is a good writeup I found on this:

1. Throw 300,000 mile TJ in junkyard
2. Go to dealer and get adult vehicle with V8.

:jump:

But just wondering... how about the Jeep 4.7 or 4.7HO from WJ or WK? Never understood why they quit making that motor. I really liked it!
I'll likely buy a truck well before I'd attempt to do a TJ engine swap & frame-off resto-mod. The basis behind the GM LS engine swap is the easy availability of engines and the rich aftermarket for swapping. I don't have the time or talent to figure it out on my own. Would need something that's pretty well laid out for me.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I'll likely buy a truck well before I'd attempt to do a TJ engine swap & frame-off resto-mod. The basis behind the GM LS engine swap is the easy availability of engines and the rich aftermarket for swapping. I don't have the time or talent to figure it out on my own. Would need something that's pretty well laid out for me.
Then why ask the question? :rotflmao:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I bet it's not as hard as you think. Good winter project. If the 4.0 ever decides to give up on the Cherokee I may do an LS swap. :rob:

jjj

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I don't have the time or talent to figure it out on my own. Would need something that's pretty well laid out for me.
Did you not look at anything I posted? There is almost nothing to figure out. Novak even has a guide with color pictures for you. It is now a completely bolt in procedure.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines/swap-guides/chevy-buick-gm/tj-swap
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/pdfs/tj-engine-mounts/

Last edited:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Prices aren't horrible. Maybe $1500 for everything I would need.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I swear my XJ is faster than my JKU. I'm investigating this. The JKU might get a blow or hemi some day. :agree:

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
It's actually reminds me of my old f150. You know there is some HP there but the damn thing doesn't want to go. It's strange.
What year EffJuan? My 2005 feels that way even with a tuner. It pulls hard from 1000 to about 4000rpm. Above that it just won't rev or pull. It pulls harder after the WOT 2-3 shift than before, and I'm not talking about the surge during the shift.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
What year EffJuan? My 2005 feels that way even with a tuner. It pulls hard from 1000 to about 4000rpm. Above that it just won't rev or pull. It pulls harder after the WOT 2-3 shift than before, and I'm not talking about the surge during the shift.
that's the torque curve of an overhead cam motor. I like the pushrod motor for its flat torque curve instead.

Reactions: SAD