• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

XJ Dead

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
...at least I think it is. Mom called me and told me that the "lifter noise" it usually makes in the mornings is going constantly and not stopping. Sounds like exactly that same thing that my TJ did when I cracked a piston. Probably due for a new engine as it's at something like 285k miles.

Think my brother is going to go check it out and see what he thinks. Looks like we'll be putting an engine in tomorrow if the junkyard is open.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You make your mom drive an xj with almost 300k miles on it? Guess you can count out that son of the year award. :naw:
She's been looking at Nissans. I suspect she'll be pulling the trigger shortly. Still need to fix the XJ though.

You make your mom drive an xj with almost 300k miles on it? Guess you can count out that son of the year award. :naw:
K's ZJ has over 210K on it and there is NO way she would approve its sell. :shrug:

we've talked about a DD...but I'd want a FS truck. :doomed:

:jump: ****ing Jeeps :pirate:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Popped the valve cover. Nothing obvious with the valve train. Covered it with paper towels and cranked it up.... wasn't any louder. Everything seemed to be moving ok. Replaced the valve cover and drained the oil. Didn't find any chunks in the oil, but I did see what looked like some gold flakes.

Going to call the local junkyards tomorrow. One shows two engines in stock 96 & 97 with 133k and 140k respectfully. $775 & $850 respectfully. Mechanic friend wants to hear it run, so I'm going to visit him in the morning. He says it's *possible* that carbon buildup on the wrist pin is causing it to lock up and knock. Says there is some oil additive we can try. I give that a 0.05% chance of working. I doubt there is any carbon buildup in the lubricated parts of this engine. We've run Mobil 1 since it was new.

Will try to arrange for an engine and get the old one pulled tomorrow.

She's driving an M3 now. :panic:

John

Transplant
VIP
Are you a glutton for punishment? It's like a $2000 car. Don't do it.

You said she's planning on replacing it...

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Are you a glutton for punishment? It's like a $2000 car. Don't do it.

You said she's planning on replacing it...
Find me one locally for $2k and I'll concede the point, though ~$800 for an engine is still much less than $2k. I checked CL and the best I could find was $3500 with the average being closer to $5k.

She's not planning on replacing it, she's planning on purchasing a second vehicle as a DD while keeping the XJ for snow and dog transport.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
When I hydrolockoed the tj engine in a mud hole at Big Dogs at 30k miles, I found a block/head, no accessories in NY for $650 including shipping, it was out of a same model year, 32k miles. It was an online place that sold wrecked jeep parts, can't recall the name now, but they were CHEAP. I swapped it in in 9 hours on a Sunday.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Trying a "magic in a bottle" solution:

Mechanic friend gave it to me. I give it a 0.05% chance of working.

Found and personally inspected a 1998 ZJ 4.0 at a local yard for $650 this morning with 184k miles. Looks clean (no oil leaks). Assuming this magic in a bottle doesn't work, I'll be heading out in 30-45 mins to pick up the ZJ engine.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
K's ZJ has over 210K on it and there is NO way she would approve its sell.
I never thought I could part with my ZJ, but it really wasn't so bad. It got to the point where the thing just wasn't safe to drive anymore.

Replaced it with a truck and a Libby and never looked back. The ZJ sat on the lot for about a month until we got that first really bad snow in November, then it sold the next day. :rotflmao:

I never thought I could part with my ZJ, but it really wasn't so bad. It got to the point where the thing just wasn't safe to drive anymore.

Replaced it with a truck and a Libby and never looked back. The ZJ sat on the lot for about a month until we got that first really bad snow in November, then it sold the next day. :rotflmao:
:beerchug:

It WAS mine when we bought it....she drove it and It was no longer MY DD. Lol I was STUCK w/the Honduh. :owned:

Then we hit me the tj.

She loves driving it...feels safe, Wtf am I to argue with?

but kept in mind in the past 6 months we've put maybe 50miles on it...w/it being yo the point we pull it out of the garage every 2-3 weeks since I'm hanging out w/her...she is a blast to watch her drive the TJ. :jump:
She can barely see over the hood. Lol

Ralph

VIP
:beerchug:

It WAS mine when we bought it....she drove it and It was no longer MY DD. Lol I was STUCK w/the Honduh. :owned:

Then we hit me the tj.

She loves driving it...feels safe, Wtf am I to argue with?

but kept in mind in the past 6 months we've put maybe 50miles on it...w/it being yo the point we pull it out of the garage every 2-3 weeks since I'm hanging out w/her...she is a blast to watch her drive the TJ. :jump:
She can barely see over the hood. Lol
:wtf: Dude. Lay off the weed. I think it's starting to get to you.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
It's so easy to tear out those 4.0/2 I6 's. Might as well slap a good used motor in there and run it as a winter RIG.