• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

XJ Dead

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Please tell me how to cut my losses here. Cost of repair is under $800. Replacement XJ is $4k. New vehicle is $30k. Newer vehicle is $15k. Not seeing a downside to <$800.

John

Transplant
VIP
Please tell me how to cut my losses here. Cost of repair is under $800. Replacement XJ is $4k. New vehicle is $30k. Newer vehicle is $15k. Not seeing a downside to <$800.
You said she's already looking at new Nissans. She should just buy an awd Rougue and put a rubber mat and a pet divider in the cargo area. Worked great for me.

She should have traded that pos in for like $1000 instead of the $2000 she'll now get after you spend all that time and money replacing the engine with another junker engine.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You'll have more than $1000 with all your expenses
Engine was $533 after tax.
Seals, mounts, filters and plugs from Amazon was a couple dollars short of $200.
Welding the crack on the exhaust manifold was $20
Gas to NC and back was $26 @ 1.75/gal

Only thing outstanding is oil.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
You can do it for $2.5k net after selling the old stuff. If you can get a complete 4.8 for $500.
The 4.8 would be a decent choice. It moves my little GMC 1500 around pretty good. And they are cheap because no one wants them.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
Got refund. Yard was very apologetic. Couldn't believe their guys didn't catch it. Gave me a line on one with 103k for $750, but it's all the way across the state and I'd spend the day driving just to get it to put in over the weekend.
Is it at U Wrench it in Va Beach? If it is, I'll meet you for a beer.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Not shabby. I'd assume he will be in somewhere near $1200 with the 4.0L. :shrug:
Under $800, including fuel to pick it up. Looking forward to a full rebuild of the old TJ 4.0. Going for a zero mile rebuild there, so probably $1200 when it is done.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Is it at U Wrench it in Va Beach? If it is, I'll meet you for a beer.
No. Good Auto Parts in Burlington NC was the final choice. Place in King William had a non-compatible ZJ engine. AZN couple with degrees from ODU running a yard in the middle of nowhere in NC. Very efficient.... had the engine out of the XJ in under 2 hours while I was driving down.

Wife is having a girls get together, so one of my friends is coming over to hang out in the garage to help re-seal the engine.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Pulled the valve cover, timing cover, water pump, oil pan, and thermostat. Replaced the rear main seal, timing cover gasket, and oil pan gasket before calling it a night.

Tomorrow morning I'll do the water pump & t-stat, the valve cover and plugs. Also going to replace the filter housing seal. Oh, and a final blowout of the valve area with the compressor before installing the manifolds.

John

Transplant
VIP
Good. Avoid that vehicle like the plauge
Lolz, you already admitted that the only problem yours had was you didn't like the placement of the in cabin air filter. The other "issues" turned out to be the cheap tires someone bought. What a pos. glad the Jeep has been so much more reliable.
:ugh2:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Junkyard engine looks to be in good shape. No noticeable buildup or anything in the oil pan. Obviously not a synthetic oil user, but I'd say they changed the oil on a regular basis.

Got a late start this AM after being up until midnight last night doing bottom end seals. Got the oil filter housing seal replaced and the water pump and t-stat in place, then the manifolds and hoisted it in.

Actually went in surprisingly easily. Having my brother helping was crucial as it's much easier to align with two people. It's currently bolted up to the tranny & torque converter and sitting on the new motor mounts. Motor mounts aren't tightened up, but that was our stopping point. Have another engagement for the next couple hours, then will finish it up this afternoon. I figure it'll take another 2 hours to get it running. Maybe 3 since I still need to swap the transmission mount and install the new rear seatbelt I got from the junkyard.

Final effort will be giving it a good bath. White paint really shows off oily hand and fingerprints.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Got it running, but had too many distractions today to finish it the way I'd consider it to be "done". Took it for a test drive. Think the drive belt is too tight. Also think I need to tighten up the exhaust collector.

Heater core isn't passing water. Wondering if I should have flushed the engine before running it as it had been sitting for a while and the coolant may have been a little gummy. Planning to pull the heater hoses tomorrow and flush the core backwards to get anything that may have been pushed into it out. Will probably just flush the entire system for good measure.

Engine seems to run well. Will give it a proper test drive tomorrow after I get the tweaks taken care of.