• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

XJ Dead

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Got started about noon. Got it out about 5pm. Junkyard engine is on the stand and ready to fit the engine mounts and test fit the accessories. The water pump on the bad engine is only a month or two old. Going to swap it over anyway because the pumps and mounting holes for accessories sometimes differ between models.

Planning to replace the following gaskets/seals on the junkyard engine:
* Valve cover
* Rear main
* Oil pan
* Timing cover
* Water pump
* Thermostat housing (swapping over t-stat and housing as both are only 2 weeks old)

Also going to replace the motor mounts as they're original and almost 20 years old.

edit: Also going to drop the oil pan on the bad engine to see if I'm right about the piston breaking like it did in my TJ.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Heh... what a pain in the ass. That said, I can't imagine not doing it. I have maintained that Jeep since my mom got divorced. Prior to that, my dad maintained it since new. Mobil One oil was all it ever got. She loves that Jeep.

This said, I also have the tools, garage, and know-how to get it done. Even had the engine hoist and a spare engine stand on hand.

I expect ill be able to sell the old block. When it's done, I doubt the cost will be over $750. Less than two car payments.

Will probably finish up Friday. My brother is coming over after he gets off a half day to lend a hand. Goal is to have it ready to go in when he gets here.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I know people here think xjs are gold, but I would possibly try selling it for a grand as is on craigslist and try to find a lower mileage xj. 285k is a shitton of miles

I called this guy about this one trying to :jew: him down to $1500, then swapping in a JY rear and fix the other issues on a saturday. I'm always looking for something to leave at the beach.

99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm not an XJ fan..... or ZJ for that matter. The only station wagon Jeeps I'd be interested in are mid 2k and newer Grands.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
About to order the gaskets and stuff from Amazon. Will pick up some cheap/store brand 10w30 to run for the first 500 or so miles, then will switch back to M1 synthetic if everything looks good and it doesn't consume it.

I realize that simply changing the gaskets doesn't really necessitate a "break in" oil change, but given that we don't know the history of the engine other than the mileage, I figure it's a good idea.

We'll have a better idea of how it was maintained once we pop the valve cover and oil pan off to re-seal everything. I'm willing to bet that the bad engine is cleaner inside than the junkyard replacement due to proper oil change intervals and synthetic oil.

Local shopping list:
New spark plugs & cheap oil

I doubt I'll replace the cap, rotor, and wires. I have several of those laying around that are in good shape.

Last edited:
Heh... what a pain in the ass. That said, I can't imagine not doing it. I have maintained that Jeep since my mom got divorced. Prior to that, my dad maintained it since new. Mobil One oil was all it ever got. She loves that Jeep.

This said, I also have the tools, garage, and know-how to get it done. Even had the engine hoist and a spare engine stand on hand.

I expect ill be able to sell the old block. When it's done, I doubt the cost will be over $750. Less than two car payments.

Will probably finish up Friday. My brother is coming over after he gets off a half day to lend a hand. Goal is to have it ready to go in when he gets here.
:beerchug:

You are a good son.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
FAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

Really? WTF? It's got a warranty, but WTF? I don't think they have another, so my best case scenario is probably going to be to get my money back and be delayed another week in getting it done.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Not sure what goop they have all over the freeze plug, but there is a horizontal crack below it that coolant was leaking out of while sitting on the stand.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Got refund. Yard was very apologetic. Couldn't believe their guys didn't catch it. Gave me a line on one with 103k for $750, but it's all the way across the state and I'd spend the day driving just to get it to put in over the weekend.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I had my 4.2 L 100% rebuilt Long block overhaul including performance cam performance parts in internals installed all done per spec for $900.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Nice. Probably going to do that with my TJ's old block.

About to hit the road going towards Burlington, NC to pick up a 97 XJ engine with 157k on it for $500..... so that's about a 3.5 hour round trip, but has ~30k less miles and is $150 cheaper.