• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Windows 10

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
error code 80070652 on the failed install has revealed an assload of problems with my DellXPS. I may have to wipe it out and do a clean install. It's just a back-up PC that sits upstairs unused most of the time so it's no biggie.

but I'll probably have to get my kid the IT guru over here to help me. :idea:

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
You should call Microsoft support.

:usa:
I'm just not used to that. It wasn't until just a few years ago I actually started running legit copies of Windows. Been running illegal bootleg copies for almost 20 years. Heck, I only have one legit copy of MSOffice and that's on the PC that came with it. :D

Hell, even Windows updates is pretty new to me. :shush:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I signed up for the free 10 OS upgrade on my 8.1 machine. Just got a confirmation email, but have to wait until it downloads to install.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
my Dell OptiPlex prompted me just a few hours ago saying I was ready. (not the forced install!)
It's been "working on it" for just over two hours now. :xfingers:

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
fawk, now the Dell with 2 botched forced installs is downloading automatically.

I'm getting completely different progress screens on both PCs :banghead:

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
Oldest daughter's Inspiron 5000 is bombing upon initial reboot - damned FastAccess facial recognition.

My guess is that it replaced the GINA, and now is arguing with Windows 10 over who logs in. The screen flickers and goes nuts.

She's going to be my high-maintenance user. :banghead:

Ralph

VIP
Bit the bullet and installed it on my primary machine. No issues. Went very quickly - less than 2 hours.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
It would be nice if on tablets they just used the windows phone OS. They do have tablet mode on 10 which isn't bad but the windows phone layout would be excellent for a small tablet.

Ralph

VIP
It seems to have better memory management than Win7 did. I have 8gb of RAM on this system, and I'm constantly using under 50% of that, where on Win7, I was typically in the neighborhood of 70-80%.

It seems to have better memory management than Win7 did. I have 8gb of RAM on this system, and I'm constantly using under 50% of that, where on Win7, I was typically in the neighborhood of 70-80%.
Using more memory isn't necessarily a bad thing - disk cache and all....

Ralph

VIP
Using more memory isn't necessarily a bad thing - disk cache and all....
.....by the seat of my pants it doesn't seem to be caching. It's much faster than 7 was at task switching and having multiple tabs open in multiple browsers while keeping a TV window open. It shows Chrome and Waterfox using significantly less memory than they used to on 7. I'm used to Chrome using 3gb of ram by itself.

Ralph

VIP
One other thing... I know Vista/7 sidebar gadgets had their own set of security issues, but I really miss having a clock on the desktop. Any suggestions how to replace that?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
8/8.1 was a shitload better at that (and faster) than 7, too. Hopefully they're moving in the right direction.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
Finally nuked oldest daughter's laptop and installed from scratch. Had to burn an MSDN product key because I formatted the drive and didn't want to screw with bringing back old settings.

Runs great now. Most people should have good luck with an upgrade in place, but I would disable anything that replaces/modifies the GINA and patch the existing OS fully first.