• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Fire TV (Regular & Stick)

FireTV is good (been running the original FireTV box since it first went on sale), but I'm really looking forward to the new crop of AndroidTV devices. Not the generic Android on a stick, but the actual FireTV-like Android TV devices. I think the just released Nexus Player missed the mark a bit, but hopefully the one Razer is coming out with will tick all the check boxes.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I bought the real one for $69... I can give the fire stick as a x-mas gift... If this interface really is better than sony's interface I can look for cheaper non-smart Tv.

Supposedly the FireTV (not stick) also supports HDMI-CEC. Unfortunately my TV does not, at least as far as I am aware. Honestly though, my TV remote is used to turn the TV on/off only, the FireTV remote is wifi and much better than an IR TV remote anyway. It would be nice if they included a few simple programmable IR buttons on the FireTV remote to control my TV/surround sound but I can live without that.

The FireTV remote supports voice search which you are not going to get with CEC.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
watz the real advantage of the firetv over the firestick?
More horsepower, so at the moment it can play more games. :jerkit:

I imagine they will add more features later on that could use the extra power though.

Oh, and the Fire TV comes with the remote that has voice control, the fire stick has a cheaper remote without voice control.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
watz the real advantage of the firetv over the firestick?
Article I read said there is more processor power and memory in the real Fire TV so main advantage will be bigger/better gaming experience. The voice search is built into the Fire TV via the remote but the same voice search can be accomplished via an app in your phone or tablet which will work with the Fire Stick.

Also Fire Stick is only wifi, no ethernet port.

Otherwise they are virtually identical.

FireTV has ethernet vs wifi only for the stick, spdif optical out which I need for my main TV setup, voice search on the remote, micro USB which currently supports things like keyboards and mice but not an external drive which makes it kinda useless to me, and faster cpu and more memory for better gaming. You can use a smart phone app for a remote that supports voice search or just buy a new remote with voice search so realistically it comes down to being faster with ethernet and optical audio.

If you are not going to be gaming and don't need optical audio out then for the money the stick sounds like the better option.

edit: there may be other differences I'm not aware of, I have the original but my FTV stick hasn't arrived yet.

edit2: Just remembered, I have read some posts on another forum with people claiming XBMC/Kodi/SPMC/TVMC video is a bit blurry with hardware acceleration on and stutters with hw acceleration off on the stick where the original FTV doesn't have any issues.

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Mother fawker... Mine is still saying December 24th... I contacted Amazon via their live chat and asked why people who ordered after me were getting it first and all they could give me was a standard reply about it being out of stock.

After pondering it myself my only guess is that the Amazon warehouses closest to you have got them in stock and they aren't expected to come in stock at the warehouse closest to me until the end of December.