• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

American Sniper

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Medical care, trauma treatment, and troop protective gear has increased exponentially as well

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
That's because politics limits military force and specifies classification. It was a conflict and then an occupation.

Also, there was no fighting against a large organized military force that was similarly technologically advanced as the U.S. If we fought a true war with Russia or China, it would be a completely different story.

The U.S. military is actually scaling back on training programs that turn soldiers into on-site killers. They are more focused on training where the soldiers supply non combative support, administrative duties and drone style combat. This may change per Administration and global situations.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
That's because politics limits military force and specifies classification. It was a conflict and then an occupation.

Also, there was no fighting against a large organized military force that was similarly technologically advanced as the U.S. If we fought a true war with Russia or China, it would be a completely different story.

The U.S. military is actually scaling back on training programs that turn soldiers into on-site killers. They are more focused on training where the soldiers supply non combative support, administrative duties and drone style combat. This may change per Administration and global situations.
true

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I think what that shows is that we went from getting the job done without worrying about what the public thought, to pussyfooting around and not really letting our military does best and not really committing to the job at hand. We don't lose as many lives, but we don't win so the lives lost are basically for nothing.
It's inaccurate to think we didn't care what the public was saying and stuff during WW2, we most certainly did. Patton, the best general was taken out of the fight because he hit a subordinate. You seriously going to take your best guy out of the fight for hitting someone? We did.

Not really. He slapped several soldiers for "nerves". Eisenhower ordered Patton to apologize to the men but felt he was too valuable to remove from battle. ALmost 4 months later a news guy revealed the incident on his radio show and the press riled congress up enough to take action. Sure they eventually removed him from command of the 7th army and put him over the 3rd where he led the US to victory in the Battle of the Bulge.

We weren't afraid to declare someone an enemy and therefore weren't afraid to commit war upon them. Today we try to wage war on small subsets of the population. Instead of taking out our real enemy, which is Islam, we instead try to target "extremists" which just keeps a neverending pool of enemies. We were much better at declaring an enemy and pulling out all of the stops. Today if a soldier were in the heat of combat to use a slur towards the enemy, he would be dragged through the court martial process. Could you imagine this today?

It's inaccurate to think we didn't care what the public was saying and stuff during WW2, we most certainly did. Patton, the best general was taken out of the fight because he hit a subordinate. You seriously going to take your best guy out of the fight for hitting someone? We did.

Gal at work said it was practically unreadable it was so poorly written. Its on my list to check out nonetheless.
I listened to the audio version. He isn't a writer that is for sure but it is a compelling tale and he came across to me as a pretty humble guy.

Probably a lot easier to listen to than to read.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Saw it today

it was good

it wasn't great

:usflag:
Agree. I didnt feel any emotion in the movie, only during the credits. I enjoyed the sniper scenes but never involved in his life scenes. I think his acting was bad and dont see how it is up for so many Oscars

DH350nWo

Meh
VIP
The movie added some to the book, story-wise. The post production and SFX was pure crap. Clint can tell a good war story, but whomever did his post needs to be shot.

Jerk!

like Einstein but dumber
VIP
I think the person deserves respect for his duty and sacrifice to his government. I think its perfectly legit to dismiss this film as propaganda nonsense.

mcatdtJEEP

I think the person deserves respect for his duty and sacrifice to his government. I think its perfectly legit to dismiss this film as propaganda nonsense.
There is no such thing as an historically accurate film..... It may be "based on a true story" or "based on a real life event" but when creative liberties are taken for entertainment value... it no longer is historically accurate and becomes fiction

That applies to movies like JFK
Selma
even American Sniper.....

any of the above can pay tribute to in any way they feel.... but all should be taken as entertainment only.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
There is no such thing as an historically accurate film..... It may be "based on a true story" or "based on a real life event" but when creative liberties are taken for entertainment value... it no longer is historically accurate and becomes fiction

That applies to movies like JFK
Selma
even American Sniper.....

any of the above can pay tribute to in any way they feel.... but all should be taken as entertainment only.
Selma is considerably flawed. The white carpetbaggers who were roaming around acted like complete animals

mcatdtJEEP

Selma is considerably flawed. The white carpetbaggers who were roaming around acted like complete animals
in terms of historical accuracy.... I have no doubt Selma is further from the truth than American Sniper.

I can only imagine the crap surrounding the filming of that movie in your area....