• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Android mocks crapple "innovations" as five year old google tech

KJVBlueXJ

signaling the Mothership
VIP
Perhaps when the times comes I'll upgrade to a non Samsung phone. The only two Android phones I've used are the S1 and S3, so I really don't know what all Samsung does or what would be different about a vanilla phone. I was not planning on buying an S5 just to see the difference, but it constantly gets such great reviews it would be hard to risk something else when I'm happy enough with my current phone and the S5 is just a better version of it.

One annoyance I have though is the provider crap. My S1 was through ATT and had ATT apps that you couldn't delete. My S3 through Verizon is the say way, Verizon apps I'll never use but can't delete.

I see the appeal of buying a generic, non provider specific phone and using that, but for the $400+ price difference I'll just ignore a few icons.
You should be able to disable all of the carrier apps that you don't want. I've done that on mine...

John

Transplant
VIP
The S5 had some annoying apps/features that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of. Anytime you accidentally swiped left, one came up.

Any why would you put the speaker on the back of the phone?

John

Transplant
VIP
Shouldn't need a case to make it less flimsy. That's why I never bought an iPhone before the 5

Because when you set it on a hard surface it amplifies itself.
No it doesn't. It muffles and distorts it. That's why I hated it.

Ralph

VIP
Shouldn't need a case to make it less flimsy. That's why I never bought an iPhone before the 5

No it doesn't. It muffles and distorts it. That's why I hated it.
I forgot, I'm dealing with His Omniscience. :rolleyes:

I can only speak for my experience with the S3 - it has its speaker on the back, and it amplifies it quite well when set on a hard surface. Works perfectly fine for me. I can't imagine Samsung ****ed up the speaker that much from the S3 to the S5.

No matter what phone I use, it has to have external protection. Not an option based on the environment in which I use it. I need a case to keep sandpaper grit out of the phone and protect it from drops on concrete and jagged edges. The S3 has been accidentally dropped mid-step and subsequently kicked across a concrete floor into a steel machine. So whether the phone is "flimsy" out of the box is completely irrelevant to me.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Yeah and my mom's neighbor is a farmer and ran over his Otterbox protected iPhone with his tractor and it still works. Big friggin deal. The S3 was an inferior constructed device and felt like junk IMHO. The GUI was twitchy. I didn't like that crap and didn't settle for it. I thought the Moto phones felt fragile and weak too. I don't know about the S5, but everyone in my office who left their iPhone for the S4 is VERY disappointed and will be going back to iPhones. Thus far anyway.

John

Transplant
VIP
His ominescense lol. I really tried to like that phone but in the end it's not for me. The speaker placement is idiotic and you won't convince me otherwise.

Btw another poor design is the "water resistance". My boss and I were curious and we tested it and put it underwater. The fact that the phone still worked was very cool, but we had to take it apart and dry the speaker because it sounded all garbled.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
2 years with my Iphone and it runs perfectly. No droid pile of shit will last that long without major protection.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
2 years with my Iphone and it runs perfectly. No droid pile of shit will last that long without major protection.
I'm not going to make that claim since I haven't had mine that long, but have you had an Android phone for 2 years?

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I'm not going to make that claim since I haven't had mine that long, but have you had an Android phone for 2 years?
It didn't last even a year. Also, I have a wife and kid. Kid has gone through two Android phone in two years, wife still has her Iphone and it still works perfectly.

ricktj

VIP
I've had my note 2 for 2 years and it still runs as well as it did when I got it. I like this phone 5x more than I did my iPhlop 4.

tink

My Fawking leg hurts
VIP
Bullshit, I have yet to have an android phone not last 2+ years. Its Icraps that I see everywhere with broken screens.

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
I had my Nexus for 2-years before iI washed it my sons lasted 2.5 years before it went swimming, my S4 is 5-months old and works like a champ. :clapping: