• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Attn: Camera people...

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
Wow, just wow. I just scoped some D3 shots in the middle of night in Paris. Guy was shooting a 28/1.4 on a D3, and the ISO and shutter speed combinations were simply unbelievable. The D3 is a HELL of a body. Seems like it makes consumer-grade glass perform great, and pro-grade glass perform unbelievable.

^

You can see the noise creeping in to the frame on the gray background, but the foreground is practically indistinguishable.

Qckslvr

succomb to the madness
Staff member
VIP
I love HDR work. I have messed with it a little in PS, using a tutorial I got off of Nikon Cafe. Eventually I want to combine HDR with OOB :jump:

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
Wow, just wow. I just scoped some D3 shots in the middle of night in Paris. Guy was shooting a 28/1.4 on a D3, and the ISO and shutter speed combinations were simply unbelievable. The D3 is a HELL of a body. Seems like it makes consumer-grade glass perform great, and pro-grade glass perform unbelievable.

^

You can see the noise creeping in to the frame on the gray background, but the foreground is practically indistinguishable.
Yeah...the 28/1.4 on the D3 is supposed to be amazing. :( That lens is going for the $3k neighborhood now on ebay since being discontinued. :teary: Rumor for a year now has a new AF-S 28, 50 and 85 1.4 hitting but I still wait.

You can definitely see the noise creeping but it's minor and not objectionable in the least bit. Plus that's a pretty big crop. I shoot iso3200 worry free now...and if I WANT grain in the shot for effect I either post-process (which I don't like) or have to dial to iso10k.

Here's iso3200...not much difference again...

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
I was just scoping the specs on a D3, and it is over TWICE the weight of my D80. Put on any sort of fast zoom, and that has got to be one HEAVY combo. Granted, you won't have a speedlight hanging off the top, so you can recoup some weight there, but damn. Those iso shots are simply amazing. That D300x you keep talking about may be in my future.

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
I was just scoping the specs on a D3, and it is over TWICE the weight of my D80. Put on any sort of fast zoom, and that has got to be one HEAVY combo. Granted, you won't have a speedlight hanging off the top, so you can recoup some weight there, but damn. Those iso shots are simply amazing. That D300x you keep talking about may be in my future.
Yeah...the D3 + 14-24 is freaking heavy but it's not awkward or uncomfortable weight. I'm used to it as well since I always either shot the D2X or the D200 with batt pack.

Might as well finish off the series...I'm pretty fearless up to 10k. 12.8k shows noise but still has detail somehow. iso25k, which is rediculous, is VERY usable...especially in b&w. Notice the noise is nice & filmlike.

iso6400

iso12800

iso25600

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
The noise has moved pretty far in on that one, even into the statuete's arms. Again though, the foreground, practically indistinguishable from the 200 shot.
Yep, I'd call iso3200 the old iso400. Every report/review is dead on...3 stop improvement with the D3 over previous technology. The D300x will be a no brainer when it hits.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
Yep, I'd call iso3200 the old iso400. Every report/review is dead on...3 stop improvement with the D3 over previous technology. The D300x will be a no brainer when it hits.
Looking at those shots, I'd tend to agree with that. Boy, would sure be nice to slide my 100-200 comfort range to 800-1600 and say goodbye to blurred movement.

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
Looking at those shots, I'd tend to agree with that. Boy, would sure be nice to slide my 100-200 comfort range to 800-1600 and say goodbye to blurred movement.
No doubt...3 stop SS speed improvement would be huge as well. With the 200/2 and dialing up to iso3200 I'm shooting INDOOR sports at 1/2000 just because I can. Unreal. What's truly amazing is that you know there's some group at Nikon right now working on the D4 that's going to produce clean iso12800 images.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
Stop motion on a kit zoom lens indoors would RULE. No need to drag out the ultra-fast primes unless you are after shallow DOF specifically.

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
Stop motion on a kit zoom lens indoors would RULE. No need to drag out the ultra-fast primes unless you are after shallow DOF specifically.
Definitely...the 18-200 becomes a fantastic indoor lens. The downside is DX on the D3 bumps the MP down to 5.7. That's a huge difference and why I don't mess with DX on the D3. I don't have any warm fuzzies that a full-frame 18-200 is on the way either. :(

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
When the D300 came out, weren't they only selling it with a kit lens (I seem to recall people bitching about having to buy it as a kit even though they already had the lens being offered 18-200vr). I wonder if the D300x will have something similar.

Wool E. Bull

Thank you.
When the D300 came out, weren't they only selling it with a kit lens (I seem to recall people bitching about having to buy it as a kit even though they already had the lens being offered 18-200vr). I wonder if the D300x will have something similar.
It was both BUT the body only was really backordered...if you wanted it you pretty much had to get the kit. You might be right...maybe we'll see a FF kit zoom. I'd love one.