• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Bike crew talk to me about mountian bike forks.

Nadeaux [JU]

Archived
Seems as if my fat azz is too much for just about any shock that comes standard on a sub 1k mountain bike. Most of the sub 1k bikes I have ridden have RockShox Tora 302 or 318 and they just don't want to support me.

Any guidance on forks vs weight, (other than to loose some).

Nadeaux [JU]

Archived
I am 250lbs, but I'm looking for a hard tail mountain bike and nothing for $1,000 has a fork up to the task of holding my weight.

One guy at the bike shop told me either look used or buy a 6 or 7 hundred dollar bike and a new beefier fork to swap on.

I am 250lbs, but I'm looking for a hard tail mountain bike and nothing for $1,000 has a fork up to the task of holding my weight.

One guy at the bike shop told me either look used or buy a 6 or 7 hundred dollar bike and a new beefier fork to swap on.
That'd be my rec...

What is the issue with the tora? Does it flex too much? You can't get the sag set right?

I ride a Marzocchi AM1 and have been pretty happy with it. It still flexes a little bit, but is way better than my old fork.

j96zj [JU]

Archived
BTT 4 Bike Crue ..... Croat will give ya' some good info ....

Beefy/overbuilt frame + disc brakes+ quality/strong fork + strong wheels and quality seat post .... gonna' be tough to keep it under $1k ...

Avoiding a trip to the ER (because some cheep shiat snaps) = $Priceless ! $$

:friday:

Nadeaux [JU]

Archived
What is the issue with the tora? Does it flex too much? You can't get the sag set right?

I ride a Marzocchi AM1 and have been pretty happy with it. It still flexes a little bit, but is way better than my old fork.
The tora rode almost fully compressed the entire time I was on the bike and would bottom out just gently riding off a curb or any time i hit the brakes with any quickness. Shop owner though it needed adjusting but I've had the same issue with the tora on 3 different bikes at 2 different shops.

I heard from a friend that a bike shop in the next town had a few '07 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp they were trying to unload for $1000 each. I'm hoping they have my size and that the Fox's F90 RL can take my abuse.

Seems as if my fat azz is too much for just about any shock that comes standard on a sub 1k mountain bike. Most of the sub 1k bikes I have ridden have RockShox Tora 302 or 318 and they just don't want to support me.

Any guidance on forks vs weight, (other than to loose some).

I started riding at around 280 on a RS Revelation 409 dual air and it took everything I could throw at it. Thats a $400 fork.

YJ4rox [JU]

Archived
Since your a big guy please consider a 20mm thru axle fork. Yes you need a hub too, but you can get a good rim/hub built for a decent price. There is a lot of hype about them but I can tell you from first hand experience the 20mm makes a huge difference. My hard tail has a RS Pike on it(love it), my Salsa has a RS Reba team with quick release and it feels like a noodle compared to the Pike. The cornering is better, there is no rotor rub from fork deflection, it tracks better and holds a line better.

The 20mm RS forks come with a Maxle, its a quick release axle for 20mm forks. I found my Pike on clearance at Wheelworld for $350. Awesome fork, its a dual air set up and totally tuneable. Its a longer travel all mountain fork and may be more travel than your looking for its 150mm.

Just something to consider. I love my RS forks, super tuneable and reliable. Both of mine are dual air but you can get them in a coil version as well. I hear great things about fox but I couldnt justify the extra cost of a Fox fork. I see too many with leaky seals. Dont buy any Manitou fork, I blew mine up on the 3rd ride, customer service was non existant. When I say blown up I mean it, the rebound adjustment blew apart(parts missing, hole in fork tube), I lost all the fork oil and my seals blew out.

Check the classifieds at ridemonkey.com and mtbr.com for good used forks.

I ride a Marzocchi 66RC on my trail bike that I have taken over some knarly stuff without bottoming out. For a little lighter fork look at a Fox 36. FWIW my Marzocchi is on a Santa Cruz Bullit with a Fox DHX 5.0 on the rear.

I'm being somewhat serious.

Look at this group of highly tuned athletes:

[/IMG]

Here are the bikes they're riding from left to right:

1. Used Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (full suspension) - I'm guessing he weighs about 170
2. Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail with Fox shock - I weigh 185
3. Trek 4500 ($500 bike or so) with some rock shock crap on it - He claims 230. :shush:
4. Specialized Hard Rock ($500 bike or so) with some rock shock crap on it - He probably is a true 230. :agree:

Neither of the pudgy guys are bitching about the shocks bottoming out, exploding or tossing them into the woods. They're riding/racing single track with rocks, drop offs (24" or less generally), creek crossings, log crossings etc...

I'd say find a bike that fits and keep your weight back over the jumps. You'll be fine. :2cents:

I'm being somewhat serious.

Look at this group of highly tuned athletes:

[/IMG]

Here are the bikes they're riding from left to right:

1. Used Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (full suspension) - I'm guessing he weighs about 170
2. Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail with Fox shock - I weigh 185
3. Trek 4500 ($500 bike or so) with some rock shock crap on it - He claims 230. :shush:
4. Specialized Hard Rock ($500 bike or so) with some rock shock crap on it - He probably is a true 230. :agree:

Neither of the pudgy guys are bitching about the shocks bottoming out, exploding or tossing them into the woods. They're riding/racing single track with rocks, drop offs (24" or less generally), creek crossings, log crossings etc...

I'd say find a bike that fits and keep your weight back over the jumps. You'll be fine. :2cents:
He's 250lbs tho...isn't that 20lbs past the limit on most of these? That's why I rec'ed the Fox Vanilla since it will go 240+. :2cents: :dunno: