• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Bike crew talk to me about mountian bike forks.

Walking the line on the limit of these forks...
I guess we need clarification on how EXTREME!!!!!!!! he plans on getting on this bike. :agree:

I wouldn't sweat it if I were doing park paths and single track. I'd definitely sweat it if I were engaging terrain that would make Will Tyler second guess. My big boys aren't jumping off of anything that compresses their POS rockshox forks all the way. :2cents:

The hope is that he'd be under the 240lb limit within a month or so. :thup2:

The simple solution is to write the check for Stumpy up there. Straight out of the box with a 250lb rider weight limit. :rockz:

WWOCD? :jump:

Nadeaux [JU]

Archived
I guess we need clarification on how EXTREME!!!!!!!! he plans on getting on this bike. :agree:

I wouldn't sweat it if I were doing park paths and single track. I'd definitely sweat it if I were engaging terrain that would make Will Tyler second guess. My big boys aren't jumping off of anything that compresses their POS rockshox forks all the way. :2cents:

The hope is that he'd be under the 240lb limit within a month or so. :thup2:

The simple solution is to write the check for Stumpy up there. Straight out of the box with a 250lb rider weight limit. :rockz:

WWOCD? :jump:
I'm no Willy Tyler and your right I would hope within a month or so I'll be at 240 or less.

You're park pathing and singletracking this vehicle correct? :puzzled:

What are your long-term cycling goals?
Are you a cheap bastard or do you demand the best once you involve yourself in a hobby?
Do you do lots of things moderately or do you throw yourself fully into one obsessively?
Do you see yourself road riding in the future?
Do you see yourselt mountainbike racing in the future?
Are you a daredevil?
Do you see yourself moving into the endurance side of the sport (meaning mulit-hour rides on teh road or on the trail)?
Or is this just a way to get a little sunlight and breeze with the family from time to time?
Do you buy stuff and keep it forever or like to buy and sell and trade and so on?
Do you tend to upgrade things?

Please answer each question and the mind meld of cycling will help you with your decision.

The tora rode almost fully compressed the entire time I was on the bike and would bottom out just gently riding off a curb or any time i hit the brakes with any quickness. Shop owner though it needed adjusting but I've had the same issue with the tora on 3 different bikes at 2 different shops.

I heard from a friend that a bike shop in the next town had a few '07 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp they were trying to unload for $1000 each. I'm hoping they have my size and that the Fox's F90 RL can take my abuse.
For what you say you plan to use the bike for I don't think you need a 20mm thru axle or a fork with stanchions over 32mm in diameter. My coil/air hybrid Marzocchi uses a standard quick release, and is pretty solid through the rough stuff/over smallish drops.

Sounds like the fork just needs to have the air pressure set for you (air sprung tora) or a heavy duty spring put in it (coil sprung tora). Have the shop set the pressure/sag for your weight and go from there. If you still find it lacking check out the Rockshox Revelation like somebody mentioned above.

I'd say find a bike that fits and keep your weight back over the jumps. You'll be fine. :2cents:
At speed over rough stuff a wimpy fork is a one way ticket into the bushes. Don't ask me how I know. . .:D

Walking the line on the limit of these forks...
Yeah, anything below the Tora's level of quality is going to be a terrible handling POS at his weight no matter what the manufacturer claims.

jpnjim [JU]

Archived
At speed over rough stuff a wimpy fork is a one way ticket into the bushes. Don't ask me how I know. . .:D
I found that out in Killington (VT), a few years ago.

@240 lbs, I went into the woods at every high speed choppy section (my 170lb buddy had no problems).

Airing the tires down killed the bounce, but I got 2 snake bites in a row (pinched tube). Second time was at the top of the mountain. :naw:

Cranking the rental bike's shock to full soft kept me out of the bushes, but I'm sure bottoming it out all day didn't do the bike any favors :disagree:

That actually stood for "What would OffCamber do?" :jump:
hahaha...very funny!

I bought a Jamis Komodo http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI300T10-Jamis+Komodo+30+Bike+06.aspx for $500 then picked up a "take off" Fox TALAS 36 and put it on the Komodo. I think I paid $500 so I have right at $1000 in the Komodo. Both of my bikes have Fox 36's on them. I have a Trek with a Rock Shox Tora 318 Air fork on it. Even pumped up with the air to support 270lbs it doesn't nose dive, but it flexes like crazy. The Fox 36 eats up the bumps and doesn't flex. I don't know that you need a 36 but after feeling the Rock Shox and the Manitou Stance Flow fork that came on the Komodo I havent tried any other forks.

I recently broke the frame for the second time on my Yeti. The Fox 36Talas RC2 that is on it hasn't let me down once.