• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Ju Med Advice Needed- Is this the Skin cancer?

HAHA someone sits around and watches that morning show with xxx (don't remember his name) and Juliet. I think I saw the same story while I was in the tire shop getting my tire patched this morning.

Just from that pic, it looks like a match to the pic they showed for melanoma. But you've had it for 10 years, huh? It has no defined edges or shape. I'd definitely get it checked out. Have you not payed enough attention to it to notice whether or not it's gotten bigger over those last 10 years?

It has to have grown from something, right? I mean, it wasn't there since birth so it obviously got bigger... But it hasn't doubled in size within the last 5 years- that's for sure.

I'm going to talk to my primary doc on monday and I'll assume get a dermatology appoint as soon as possible.

In the mean time, for my own sanity, here are real melenoma pics that don't look like mine:

http://www.raft.ac.uk/images/research/research_melonoma.jpg

http://eivind.imm.dtu.dk/thor/projects/images/lesion.jpg

http://www.skincancerscreeningtour.com/skin cancer pictures/mm1.jpg

As for the morning show, I didn't sit around watching it, It was on in the background and I figured I'd take a look when they said they were going to show pictures of what it may look like,

well, not to put fear in you, but that middle (second) pic does sort of look similar (just with a lot less hair). My Bro-in-law has had spots removed from his back a couple of times, and they were found to be cancerous. He now gets semi-annual checkups. He has a pretty good idea of what to look out for, and will get anything checked early if he has any feelings that it may be worth checking out. The main thing I remember him saying is looking for a mole, spot, etc that does spread over time, and has no defined shape. Typically, moles will be round and have a defined edge to them.

Melanoma's can take a variety of shape and color. Instead of matching what yours looks like to one that is pictured in a book or on line, match up the warning signs instead. Your's HAS the warning signs.

Sample [JU]

Archived
It is cancerous. You probably should get checked out. Having it on your skin that long has more than likely allowed the cancer to enter the blood, pretty much able to go where it wants.

If I can't keep my right hand they might as well just pull the plug.
Better get to the doc now then. Looks like it is spreading out irregularly from the second pic. Not that I know chit about it. I have one on my the back of left arm that is about 8-9 mm. Since I have had it, at least 20 years, it will darken and grow, then sometimes it will lighten and fade away, even shrink a little. But generally it is making slow progress, although cycling. Two steps forward and one back.

If you even knew the other 100 or so 'places of interest' I have on my skin... It's hard to look at that and worry... things that ooze, things that pop... things that bleed, and things that just grow... Some people have boring, unremarkable skin... it all looks pretty much the same all over their body... not mine... Each region has its own 'personality'

here's a textbook picture of melanoma from a cancer research site. looks exactly the same - it is even from a hairy shoulder like yours...