• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Going to try to finish laying the tile in the breakfast nook Saturday morning, then work on the electrical Saturday afternoon.

synonymous

Better than you.
VIP
FAWK THIS HOUSE!!!!!

The circuit for the wall oven isn't rated properly and can't support the new oven. Requires a 4 wire 40 amp circuit and it only has a 3 wire 30 amp circuit in place. That's going to add at least an extra day to the efforts as I'll have to rip open the ceiling in the basement to fish the wire. FAWK!!!!!
Lolz. I upgraded my entire kitchen and filled my service panel with all my friggin appliances. My convection micrwave wall oven needed the same. That sucker was a biatch to run too.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Got the breakfast nook tile done. Still need to do the pantry and under the fridge. Will do that tomorrow and grout on Monday.

All of the electrical is done with the exception of the outlets for the island. Microwave is in. Oven is in. Dishwasher is in. My father-in-law was a great help with the electrical stuff. Nice to have a professional electrician doing the stuff like wiring up the new 8ga wire for the 40amp oven circuit.

Have my plumbing put together (4x quarter turn valves, fittings, etc). Just need to cut it the rough in caps and solder the fabbed up assemblies in. Need a fitting for the refrigerator line.

Plan for tomorrow is to fit the plumbing, tile the pantry & fridge area, and cut in & wire up the outlets for the island. Should be an easier day than today. Not super easy, but easier.

Some oddball aluminum wiring for the cooktop.

Counters go in Wednesday. Next weekend I'll be putting in backsplash. Haven't decided on a tile yet, but have a couple we bought to look at. Not really digging the one to the left under the microwave. The other is a bit bold and may turn off some buyers. May still go with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcb

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Picked up some split bolts designed for mating copper to aluminum wiring for the cooktop. Will be hooking that up this evening after I get the plumbing finished.

Counters are in!

Next up after the final plumbing and electrical...... cleaning. Lots of cleaning. Seems like the entire house is dusty. Not sure if I'll do the backsplash this weekend or sometime next week. Still need to finalize the decision on what we're going with.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Looks great.

I ****ing HATE aluminum wiring - our first house had some. Connections will come apart and become a fire hazard if they aren't done correctly, and that sucks.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Looks great.

I ****ing HATE aluminum wiring - our first house had some. Connections will come apart and become a fire hazard if they aren't done correctly, and that sucks.
Yup. My FIL is an electrician and gave me good instructions on how to properly handle it. AL/CU rated split bolts are the key. Standard wire nuts are no good since the aluminum will oxidize and expand/contract until they come apart, cause sparks, and could cause a fire.

Plan is to use the AL/CU split bolts to connect, wrap the exposed section and split bolt with rubber tape, then cover everything with electrical tape.

Fortunately, that appears to be the only circuit using aluminum. Kind of odd, but when it comes to this house, nothing surprises me.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Uba Tuba? 3cm? Looks good. Is there a door track in the opening at the end of the counter near the post? Or is it GWB hanging down?

your work is solid....you pay attention to details and it shows.

looks professionally done.

my only issue is the design aspects. it is fairly boring and it already looks dated.

you should have gotten some help on color choices and materials from someone that has a better design sense......

you ever see Waz's stuff? He and Amy make stuff pop.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
your work is solid....you pay attention to details and it shows.

looks professionally done.
The cabinets and counters are professionally done. My work is limited to tile, electrical, and plumbing. I had a professional electrician helping me with the electrical.

my only issue is the design aspects. it is fairly boring and it already looks dated.

you should have gotten some help on color choices and materials from someone that has a better design sense......
It's not exactly what I'd want, were I keeping the place. It's safe and neutral, which I'm told is valuable when you're selling. My choices on granite as also limited given that the size required two seams. The more ornate options don't seam well at all.

you ever see Waz's stuff? He and Amy make stuff pop.
I don't have Waz money to put into it. This is a $20k kitchen. Didn't he spend that on appliances alone?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Looking good.

Wish you went with a gas range though. :(
Thanks. If I were staying, it would be a gas range. Found the gas line under the oven when I was pulling the new circuit.

Uba Tuba?
Correct.

Not sure what you're asking.

Looks good. Is there a door track in the opening at the end of the counter near the post? Or is it GWB hanging down?
Not sure what you're asking here either. There is a door on the other side of the post. The white thing on the side is an outlet w/two USB ports.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If he paid retail, yeah, but he practically stole them off craigslist
Not something easily repeatable. Plus didn't one of his die recently and cost more than all of my appliances combined to fix?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Thanks. If I were staying, it would be a gas range. Found the gas line under the oven when I was pulling the new circuit.

Correct.

Not sure what you're asking here either. There is a door on the other side of the post. The white thing on the side is an outlet w/two USB ports.
I think the "3cm?" was about thickness of the countertop.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP

Correct.

Thickness of granite.

Looks like a door track or Sheetrock hanging down from the head of the opening. The one at the end of the counter.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You talking about the support corbel?

Here is the front of the other end: